Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP won't run repair 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Righty

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
US
I have a system with a 466 celeron, 640Mg ram, and 10 gig hard drive. After trying to setup a printer I ran into the "pci.sys" is missing or corrupt. Normally I would just run thew repair to fix. But this time when starting repair on XP PRo I am getting cannot load setupdd.sys error code 4. I ran diagnostics on Hard drive and they past. Why would i get this error code on running repair. In fact I had not even gotten to the point of hitting "r" for repair. It was when the CD was loading Debugger.dll. The next time I got error 7 cannot load ntkrnlmp.exe. I used 3 XP disks and these came up. Any ideas around this. I really need to save this hard drive and the data on it.

Sometimes an XP system can have hard driver errors and still boot up correctly or seemingly does.

You should try this on at least your C: drive and any other partitions you may have on the hard drive.

Open a DOS window. in the DOS window, logged onto C:, type

CHKDSK/F

then hit the Enter key. You will see a message something about unmounting the drive. Press N for no. A second message comes up to run CHKDSK/F the next time you boot up your system. Press Y for yes then press Enter.

Upon rebooting, before XP comes on screen a blue screen will come up and say it is going to check your hard drive. You have ten seconds to abort running CHKDSK/F automatically. DO NOT TOUCH ANY KEYS on your keyboard and let CHKDSK/F run and check out the hard drive.

When CHKDSK/F is finished XP should continue booting up automatically.

After a reboot/restart your XP should run better. If it does not then that was not the problem causing your computer to not boot up correctly.

I am using FAT32 and not using NTFS. So if you have NTFS setup on your hard drive I am not sure if CHKDSK/F will work or not.

Strange errors like you mention often turn out to be caused by bad RAM. You checked your harddrive why don't check your RAM with this free program?

Assuming you still have an Operating System you can enter here are some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I am running the test on the RAM but it appears to be OK. I cannot even boot up to Windows XP. If I try to boot to the hard driove I get an error saying PCI.sys is missing or corrupt.

I tried to run a repair with the XP CD but when it gets to the Kernel Debugging.DLL I get error saying cannot load setupdd.sys. I have run repair from XP before without a problem. I don't understand why I receiving the error messagewhen running repair

I forgot to also say that I don't even get to the part to decide wether to run repair or format drive. It is only about the fourth window into the CD starting. So I cannot even choose what I would like to do.

It's working again. I took problem HD out of troubled system and put it as a slave drive in a second (working) computer. I copied the hard drive files to the Master HD then made a ghost copy to the master drive. Then I made the problem HD the main drive in the second computer to try to run the repair off XP and it started to boot on it's own. So I put the Problem drive back in the troubled computer and it boots up the way it did before this all happened. I am completely lost as to why, but happy it boots again. Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back