Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP won't open a USB drive previously used with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewyone

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2006
IE
Hi,

am in a bit of trouble here...

I wiped and installed XPSP2 Professional on a machine that was previously running Vista Home Premium as the machine was crawling. The guy who owns it copied all his files onto an external USB drive before I did the install.

Now the USB drive installs okay on XP, but it won't open. It won't open on another Vista machine either. Apparently Vista by default encrypts all data going to an external drive... I did not know this and this guy has about 50GB of stuff on the drive.

There has to be, must be a work around somewhere....?!?

Vista by default does NOT encryp all data going to an external drive, I know because I do it all the time.

What exactly is the error message you're getting?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I don't get an error message. I plug the drive in, XP installed it okay, and the Autoplay window pops up momentarily, but nothing shows.

In My Computer it has been given a drive name but you can't see the drive size and when I double-click on the drive, I get a pop up that says 'Disk is not formatted - The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format now?'

I plugged it straight in the the MB (SATA) and no difference. Any suggestions??

Is the drive seen via Disk Management in the Computer Management? Does it give you some ideas about the Status of the drive?

Are you able to access the Security Tab when you right-click on the drive icon?

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Can you run ChkDsk on the drive in any form or fashion from the Recovery Console? While in the Recovery Console have a look at the FixMbr command too.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Is the drive seen in the Bios, is USB options enabled in the Bios?

307070 - Windows XP Does Not Recognize a Q. USB Hard Drive

Any clues in the Event Viewer or Device Manager?
314464 - How to Troubleshoot Unknown Devices Listed in Device Manager

Is there a problem with mapped drives and drive letters conflicting?

Getting USB Devices to work under Windows XP

Data recovery.
PC Inspector

Plenty of other recovery software listed here.

Thanks Linney, I'll try a couple of those tomorrow, 9pm so off home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back