Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP wont Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbers64

Technical User
Feb 27, 2005
GB

I have 3 computers on a network. laptop preinstalled with XP
1 desktop with XP home and 1 desktop with me. Had problems with a printer on the ME system stopping when a print from a xp laptop. Decided to load XP copy that i already had on the other PC. loaded fine, topped up with SP2 no probs for a couple of weeks. Daughter installed game and screwed up windows. reinstalled xp. During the install i forgot to uncheck the update setup files from the net. The install stalled after a few moments. Restarted machine and since then i have the same problem that you mention. Call me a cynic but i suspect that Microsoft has established that this version of windows is registered to another machine and delivered data onto my hard drive/bios to stop Xp reloading. Is this possible anybody.

Not likely. They would more likely just identify your system in their database by the MAC addresses of your hardware. Even that is speculation.

I'd try this. Wipe your partition off. Make a new one, install ME and then upgrade to XP. The licence that microsoft distributes with it's OS is typically a 2 processor licence. I think that means a dual processor system but <shrugg> Reguardless they may think your attempting to pirate their software. Which is technically illegal.

Most likely you corrupted the o/s by rebooting the machine during an update.
Format and start again

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

To jimsav for highlighting a solution
Wolluf for removing the trees
Garabo for his witty thank you
Problem not loading XP = ATI graphics card
Even when the onboard graphics are disabled and windows loads through the pci graphics card you get conflict.
Solution
Remove graphics card
Reboot to set up
enable on board graphic and set to AGP
Load Windows.
load motherboard drivers including graphics windows will look for a driver even when disabled in bios.
Reboot to setup
Disable on board graphics and set to primary to PCI
Change monitor to PCI card
Rebbot to windows
Disable SIS adaptor in system hardware manager.
All will now function.
Reference to Loading XP copy from another machine. Given that XP is so fickle with hardware:- who wants to spend £150 on it when it may never load on your system. You dont get your money back if it does not. Where did all this digital signing come from anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back