Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP won't load up my profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunik

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
US
Hello All,

I've been running XP Pro for several months now without any problem. I recently in one day installed Norton Antivirus 2002 and Adobe Photoshop 6.0. After this, when i try to boot up my computer, I get the following message:

"Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted. Contact your administrator."

Now before this, I was having problems with XP not loading up any of my "default" themes when booting up. These themes are the default XP themes that everybody gets when they install XP. You know, the one that has the blue taskbar and everything? I will go into my "Desktop Properties" and it will say something like "Windwos XP (Modified) under the themes selection, then when going into "Appearance" tab, Under "Windows and buttons" it would have selected "Windows Classic" and will not have the selection for Windows XP style.

Now when logging into my Administrator account, i checked my event log and saw this error:

"Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.
DETAIL - The configuration registry database is corrupt. for C:\Documents and Settings\Bunik\ntuser.dat"

Unfortunately dumb me, I have not been able to back up any of my stuff yet nor make a System Recovery Disk. I know...I will learn next time! :)

Now is there anyway to get around this or to fix this mess? I know it seems weird and a lot of information to give, but I have yet to see this problem posted on this board, so I was hoping somebody might be able to help...thanks!

Try creating another administrator account and logging in on the new account.

When you start up the computor press F8 after the memory check and before windows commences its start procedures. This should take you into a menu offering alternatives such as safe mode , command , etc.

One of these options should be system restore if this is available follow the instructions and pick a restore point prior to the problems.

If this is not available try starting in safe mode and find sysrem restore from the start button and help icon.
Find system restore option and follow instructions.

Tip: Once you have sucessfully restored the system the system will reboot. I suggest you shutdown again after this and reboot again. your computor should now be running ok.

Remove the offending programs using remove software from Control panal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back