Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP wont kill applications on shut off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achellin

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2010
US
Hi.
I'm having this issue. I went in, edited the registry so that XP will kill applications, but Firefox isn't complying.

Meaning for the third time this month, I've come to my station to see my computer has been left on, with the message, "firefox will not close, end now?" and firefox asking if I want to save my tabs.. My computer with many special rights as I'm IT. Completely NOT acceptable, and a good way to get fired. (ie a malicious coworker uses my computer in that state)

Aside from auto accepting save my tabs, or babysitting my computer every turn off, what options do I have?

Thanks!

It's too much trouble to manually shut down Firefox?

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Have you tried un-checking the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" option in Firefox. Barring that, yes close Firefox before leaving and be done with it.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I use this line command in code sometime, don't recall if it will kill 'Fox or not:
%windir%\system32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 00

Beir bua agus beannacht!

The problem is I'm not closing it. If I remembered firefox would pester me every time, this wouldn't be an issue. I'm just used to windows L and leaving quickly.

Hmm genomon, that may the the same as the registry value I edited, I'll look into it, thanks!

I just created a desktop shortcut and pasted this in as the target. Double-click & out the door...

Beir bua agus beannacht!

I'm still not understanding what's so hard about clicking the big red X on Firefox, letting it close, and shutting down or logging out? It only takes a couple of seconds. Surely it's not life threatening to use 2 or 3 more seconds to close FireFox?

And if you are an IT pro, to begin with, you ought to realize that things sometimes just break, they just don't work, so you should therefore be willing to sit around long enough to be sure the system is logging out or shutting down. I mean, honestly, unless your system is severely hosed (even on really old decrepit hardware), it shouldn't take long for the system to log out.

Sorry if I sound rude on this one, but it just sounds like pure laziness to me. I'm not an IT person where I work, but I try to always wait those few extra seconds to make sure my system has passed the point of no return, where no one could cancel the shut-down process and be logged in as me.

All good advice given.. to add to genomon's post, the -r switch (without the -s) will do a restart rather than a shutdown. And the -f switch will force open applications to close. The full command-line switches are:
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option
-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
-s Shutdown the computer
-r Shutdown and restart the computer
-a Abort a system shutdown
-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
-f Forces running applications to close without warning
-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
u is the user code
p is a planned shutdown code
xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

I also have to concur with kjv1611... you can probably speed up the restart/shutdown to a simple double-click of a shortcut, but for the sake of your job, you should really babysit the restart until you are certain that you are logged off fully. You may have told Windows to restart, but that doesn't always mean it will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back