Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreeze

Technical User
Jun 15, 2001
US
Hiya!

I have XP Pro in my laptop. When I try to boot up, it gets to the blue screen with the little Windows XP logo on it then it just sits there. I can't boot in safe mode either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-=Rob

Have you tried the option to restore the last known good configuration?

Matt J.

Yeah, same thing.

I just booted with a boot disk to a command prompt. When I do a "dir" at the end it gives me "Extended error 1,928"

-=Rob

If you have the XP CD.
boot from it

How to:
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

In recovery console , do:
chkdsk /r

(this can take some minutes)

exit
(exits the recovery console and reboot the pc)

This is a BIOS error message.

Is this an IBM laptop?

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a laymans version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

It's a Dell. Naturally the floppy is acting up and it has an external cd-rom which I'm trying to get to work. I'll try your ideas, thanks!

-=Rob

OK, here's the problem.

My floppy is giving me an disk i/o error and my cd-rom drive is a Backpack parallel drive. I have it set up through the docking station. Is there anyway to boot via a network or am I hosed?

Never let your Dad borrow your perfectly working laptop :-(

-=Rob

It's a CSX H500xt if that helps any.

Ok, the floppy drive is hosed completely. I bought a cd rom drive. I put it into the docking station. Bios recognizes that it's there, I set it as my boot drive, put in Windows XP, and STILL get an error saying there is no bootable disk.

I have no idea here.

OK, I got a new floppy drive and with the recovery console, I got it up and working, thanks for all the suggestions!

One problem I'm having is that if I change a cd (in the docking station), it will not recognize the new cd until I reboot. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-=Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back