Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP WINS Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanButs

Technical User
Feb 18, 2007
CA
OK, here's the issue.
I recently setup a VPN on my home XP Pro desktop so that I can access file/print shares from abroad. I have a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT fw on it.
I can connect to the VPN with no problems at all. I can also see my shares with no problems at all. BUT, to view my shares I have to go start | run | \\local IP address\ then it will show me anything shared on that local IP address. I want to be able to view these shares in Network Neighborhood just like I can do when I am at home.

Got me so far? I can't view the file shares over the VPN in Network Neighborhood.

So I've been reading a lot about this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems if I have a WINS server running on my LAN somewhere I should be able accomplish this (I think). Except, I can't seem to find any information on running a WINS server in XP Pro. I have found a ton of information on how to do it in 2000 Server / Server 2003. Is it even possible?
I'm still not 100% sure on whether this IS going to solve my problem... so if anyone out there has any ides please let me know. They would be greatly appreciated.
I've read a little bit as well on the LMHOST file, could this work?

Anyways, let me know... thanks.

Why don't you try simply typing the computer's IP address, for example \\192.168.100.2

Netbios name resolution over VPNs can be tricky business. If you have a limited number of PCs whose shares you want to browse, I would suggest creating a folder in which you put shortcuts for every PC you wish to browse (just click create shortcut, and type \\IP_address). What you get is a list of PCs, which is practically the same thing you expect when opening My Network Places.

If the machine(s) on the 'home' side of the VPN tunnel have static IP addresses and there are relatively few, adding these to the remote client's lmhosts file is the easy solution.

Yeah, I only have a few computers on the home side of the VPN and they are all static IPs.
I read about the lmhost file a few days ago and tried that, it works great.
I can browse the shares now through network neighborhood. Very cool... thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back