Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP winlogon.ui error

Status
Not open for further replies.

xander9

Technical User
Jun 3, 2004
US
I have Windows XP Pro, and winlogon.ui has an error. I am/unable to start in safe mode,use the recovery, I tried setting back, etc. I have no floppy drive, and I have tried to find a program that would allow my booting CD drive to run a dos program to copy a working winlogon? I had a working winlogon on my desktop, but I am unable to access any of my files to rename and copy this working winlogon, and then it all quit.
So my question : Is there software independent of winlogon that would allow me to copy files? I have a burner drive, and a reading drive, so I would be able to burn with the program to another drive whilst keeping the prog in the drive.
thanks.

just put your hdd as a slave into another machine, boot and replace the files on the slave.

I have a seagate, no one else I know has a seagate and I'm not travelling 500 miles to replace winlogon.ui :) I should have detailed that fact earlier.
Do you think knoppix will work for backup, etc? Downloading that atm.

Look up BARTPE on google, make an XP bootdisk with it, extremely helpful, and you can do anything you like with the drive....

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

what has the hdd brand to do with that?
what do you mean with winlogon.ui (user interface?)?
if your system is ntfs i would not use knoppix since writing to ntfs is supported(?) but not safe(@SCFROMDC link is better). if its fat32 no prob.

If BartPE or Knoppix don't fix it for you there is always Recovery Console (with the ability to copy or extract a file from CD) or a Repair Installation of Windows.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Lemon raises my concern on reading this thread. What is winlogon.ui?

It is not a native XP file.

I did a search on several machines around me, and I could not find winlogon.ui

I suggest a carefull workthrough of the steps in faq608-4650

Sounds like malware to me.

First off, this is not malware. It IS an XP Pro file. windows logon user interface - win logon . ui
Not malware. It's a native file. Sorry. :)
I am unable to use the recovery, and can't make a boot disc or anything related to using windows, as it relies on this file.
I cannot re-install windows as I have stated.

Also, hard drive conflicts are very famous. I would be (and am) unable to set the seagate as a slave/master to any other brand. I've tried.

I have searched three XP SP1, one Longhorn, one Win2k server, and one Win2k Pro installation (thats all I have in my house at the moment) and not one, not one, returned a file called winlogon.ui.

Furthermore, I asked MSFT if they knew of the file. The answer I received from MSFT was that there has never been a Windows XP file winlogon.ui, and no knowledge of a file by that name in an earlier Windows release.

The best suggestion was that a third-party application had replaced the msgina.dll or gina.dll; see:

Where is Recovery Console crashing out? Is it at the Administrator Password?

Where is the Repair Installation crashing out, how far can you get with that?

What file system is this NTFS or FAT32?

See if this leads anywhere.

Stealing "Bcastner's" thunder the only files I have in several checked systems is "WinLogon.exe". The Only one on the XP Cd's I checked too.

Can you supply the exact name and extension of this "win logon . ui" or "winlogon.ui"?

There is a virus that masquerades as "winlogIn.exe". And programs such as PC Anywhere alter Msgina.dll.

From what you are saying then a format and reinstall are looking likely.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q302346
How to Restore the Original Logon Interface in Windows

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q294737
Architecture of Fast User Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back