Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP will not share intenet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytony

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
GB
I am trying to share my ADLS internet connection with a wireless device via bluetooth but when I tick the box in the loca area connection properties to share the connection, I get an error:

"internet connection sharing cannot be enabled
a lan connection is already configures with the IP address thatis required for automatic IP adddressing"

this is my setup:
I am connected to a router via a network cable, I have a bluetooth wireless usb pen plugged into my pc which definitely does work.
I have tried using the automatic IP addressing
and by specifying the addresses. I'm not sure what would be stopping this, I tried turning off the firewall but the same error comes up everytime, any ideas anyone?

"Do not attribute to Malice, what can easily be explained away by stupidity" REF 2002

For the ICS to work, the PC on which ICS resides must be at 192.168.0.1 I am guessing that your router is already at this address.

Try and move the addresses round.

M.

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

Abviously that would require for me to specify the IP addresses, the problem with this is that, for some reason MSN messenger will not sign in unless I've got the LAN on auto IP?
I tried creating a bluetooth network connection which would not connect as expected so I tried bridging that with my LAN but nothing!
I'll try moving the last number of the IP around, the bridge said 6 at the end when the LAN siad 4! I'll keep you informed

"Do not attribute to Malice, what can easily be explained away by stupidity" REF 2002

I presume by autoIP you mean DHCP. YOu can still use DHCP, and you can also specify IP addresses for some workstations - just make sure that the DHCP range starts after all the numbers that you have given out.
M.

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back