Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP will not install on AMD chipset MoBo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houptee

Technical User
Jan 18, 2002
US
Hi gang, I have this crappy PChips MoBo M800LMR which uses the AMD 751 756 chipset. It has built in sound & Ethnet. It has AGP video card and I am using a NVidia TnT2.

The system "was" running fine in a dual boot set up with Me and XP Pro.

Then I needed a video card to test another pc so I pulled out the TnT2 for a few days, did not change anything else.

When I put Vid card back in the system, it no longer will boot to either OS?

Me will start in safe mode, but XP will not in any mode at all.

When I try to boot XP safe it stops at amdagp.sys and hangs.

I tried to reinstall XP by booting from CD and it gets to "Starting Windows" and hangs every time.

I then tried diff video card same thing.

Then I even tried to boot to a Win 98/ME boot disk and it wont load CD drivers it will only boot minimal?

Tried diff Ram, diff P.Supply, no change?

Think the board is toasted? It will start in Me safe mode?

Freaky piece of crap.

I had the same problem using an nvidia riva 128 agp card. Only solution was to repair existing XP. PS I did not use command console. Have not had any more problems since. Hope this helps.

Yeah but I cannot even reinstall, it hangs (see above)?

Thats whats so wierd, I cannot even boot from a Win98 boot disk w/cd rom support? Only boots to DOS minimal boot mode?

Why would it suddenly do all this just by removing vid card and putting it back in? I never used the computer while orig vid card was out of it.

Possibly the card is not completely seated. Also remove the card and check the contacts to see if any arcing is shown on the contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back