Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp will not connect to another xp computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
I hope someone can help me out here. My dad has a computer with windows xp and so do I. I have a broadband internet connection from a usb cable modem.

We would both like to share this connection and right now wanted to do it as cheaply as possible as we intend to get a wireless connection within a month.

I got the following

two 10/100 Network Card with w/wake on Lan
and Belkin Cat5e Moulded UTP Crossover Cable (Yellow Cable with Grey Boot) 25m

I put the cards in each computers pci slots and connected the cable to them both. Both computers recognised the network cards but I can not seem to be able to connect to the other computer at all. Have I got the wrong cable or something?

Please any help is appreciated, I have been trying all different things setting up the network and nothing works.

You need to enable some form of file sharing for them to be able to see each other.
First, set their IPs to the same range.
Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Right click the interface -> Properties -> TCP/IP and properties. Select "Use the following IP Address" and set each computer with the same IP address, but with the last digit being different.
(192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with 255.255.255.0 are the easiest).

Then follow these instructions to allow the computers to be able to see each other.

As a side not, buying a router with a DHCP service will eliminate the need for the first step and allow both computers to use the internet connection without Internet Connection Sharing installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back