Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP will not boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2007
US
Okay, my old desktop (AMD AThlon 1700+,XP PRO)blew it's power supply a few months ago. I replaced it with a bigger unit then decided it was time to upgrade to a new pc. Since buying the new PC my old one has sat unplugged for a few months. I tried to fire her up last night, I plugged her in and she just seemed to run and run without booting. The reset button was also useless. Any ideas?

she just seemed to run and run without booting."

Do you mean it doesn't even pull up BIOS options? If it doesn't, check that you've installed the power supply correctly and the plugs are fully home. Also that you haven't dislodged anything when fitting the replacement psu.

It's quite easy to partially and accidentally unplug the connectors to the case front from the motherboard

If you can get to the BIOS check the settings are OK. Sometimes a dead CMOS battery will reset the system date to an inappropriate setting which can cause some problems, or not auto recognise the hard disk.

Sorry, but it's really back to basics...

Regards

MD

I'm thinking it might be a battery issue. The pc was running fine after I installed the power supply then it sat off power for months. Do I have to replace the battery or is there a work-around?

If it's a bettery issue, then the system should at least boot to the BIOS settings - usually you have to press the F2 or Del key depending on your system to get into the settings screens.

You can replace the battery if you want, but it's probably better at this point to leave it plugged in and on standby once you've got it working.

Regards

I am betting it may not be a battery issue. static elctricity may be the issue here or loose components.

First unplug then replug everything in the case...check for loose fans... reseat the CPU with new Artic silver Thermal CPU paste

you said you blew up the PSU. you may have stressed the CPU or MB and now one of them are fried. this is the most logical scenerio

I am betting the CPU finally gave out... I have seen more of the older stuff come to me now days in failure ... 80% of the time it is now the CPU. 7+ years is a long time for some of these components that run hot (as these CPU's did).
the constant cooling and heating over the years does take a toll. This is True for any eletrical component ...

Okay,I just messed with this "project" again. I stand corrected. Indeed, it was a connection issue. It is completely illogical that this desktop was in any config other than what I remember leaving it with, intact and operational...Yet, the motherboard was unplugged (the main contact.) Not good. Thanks for the advice. I'm still working on it.

good to hear that you found the issue and it was SIMPLE....LOL

I hate it when I look too hard at something and miss the simple stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back