Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP wants to re-install my working printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaKiwi

Programmer
Apr 8, 2001
US
When I boot my computer, Windows wants to re-install my Canon C555 printer. It is already installed and working well. How can I tell Windows to quit bugging me?

Thanks

CaKiwi

try this

-unplug usb cable for printer
-delete the printer from control panel --> printer and faxes
-reboot
-turn printer on
-plug printer usb cable in same or different usb port
windows will detect new device. follow driver installation setup and see what happens from there.

Thanks for the response, alpinetech

I am using a parallel connection for my printer, but, other than that, I had previously what you suggested several times.

If I install the printer using the files downloaded from Canon it works fine, but everytime I boot, Windows says it has found new hardware and wants to install it. If I install it again by following the windows instructions, it malfuctions (prints only parts of each page). The printer is currently working fine and all I want to do is tell windows that it is not smarter than me and to quit bugging about hardware that is already installed

CaKiwi

hmm.
sounds like a stubborn problem.
try going into device manager and remove the LTP port. uninstall all canon drivers. shutdown the computer and remove the parallel cable. reboot and let windows redetect the LTP port. shutdown windows again and plug parallel back in.
makes be wonder if its the port itself that has malfunctioned.

Try this: Find the folder for printers under Windows/inf. Comment out or delete the line for your printer.

Thanks for the response, guys. Canon helped me with the problem. I had to let windows have its way and install the printer and then run a Canon utility to straighten out the mess it left.

CaKiwi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back