Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDaveM

Vendor
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have to upgrade to XP Pro. The systems hard drive will be upgraded at the same time. We do not want to lose any data, on the smaller drives. What is the best wat to go about this?
Thanks,
Dave

Just do an upgrade by running the XP pro disk in windows. Don't do a clean install because that will erase everything.. Oh and what are you upgrading from? Some versions of windows can't be upgraded and a clean install is required. Hope that helps...

Both Windows XP Full and Upgrade will upgrade your copy to Windows XP Pro. OEM will not. It is recommended you don't do an upgrade but instead do a clean install, but since you do not want to lose data, Windows XP Pro has the ability to upgrade. If you purchase an Upgrade copy instead of a full copy, you must upgrade you do not have a choice, there must be an OS already installed for it to work. That's the only difference.

John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

I have the OEM version, now what?
Thanks,
dave

The Retail Upgrade version of XP Pro will permit either an upgrade or a clean installation, although the latter will ask for you to insert 'Qualifying Media.'

An OEM version of XP will only permit a clean installation, not an upgrade.

See "Should you purchase an OEM license version of XP?" faq779-4004

Are you removing and replacing an old drive or just adding an extra new drive to your system, what do you mean by "the systems hard drive will be upgraded at the same time"? Where is your current operating system installed and what plans have you for that?

If it is a new drive you are putting into your machine, install your OEM onto your new drive after formatting it and setting up any partitions you want on the new drive. Just don't format your old drives and install XP onto them and XP wont overwrite them. You haven't said what is on these old drives, is there a second operating system or just data? You might end up with a dual booting system.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP (Q306559)

The old drives are small i.e 4GB, upgrading to 40GB hard drives. The 4GB has Win98 on them. I have "ghosted" the 40GB from thr 4Gb.

OK, I got a real XP Pro CD. Now when trying to install BSOD, say that if I continued could damage system. I remove all cards, except video. Still same problem. I even tried a new and formatted HD and the same thing happened.
Aopen 4x MB
WD 80gb HD
ATI rage 128 Pro
Help!!
Thanks, dave

Usually something like this is ram related. Have you tried switching out the ram?

John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Use the check lists in these articles to troubleshoot general Bios and Compatibility problems. Also remove any USB items that might be connected.

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade

316639 - HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP

Well, I got it to load. I ghosted the hard drive, took it home and XP Pro installed with out any problems. When it was finished, bo yellow in Device Manager. Looks like it is a hardware problem. I installed 2 new 256 sticks, along with the one that was already there. Will start by removing the ols one and see what I get.
Thanks to all you helped.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back