Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP upgrade CDraw file save problem on Network drives 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

balin

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
AU
WE recently upgraded 2 workstations from Win98me to XP Pro. The server runs Win 2000 server.

Once a file had been saved to the server Corel Draw 8 would report "file in use by another user" on the next save. Files save fine to local drives.

We also use Illustrator 9. File saves were reporting "trouble writing PDF format" even though we are saving in Illustrator format.

Further investigation showed Corel Draw to be the culprit (we think). File save errors on the network would start after a file save by Corel Draw.

So upgrade both to Corel 10 and Illustrator 10. Same problems.

Deduce problem must be with XP pro talking to Win 2000 server.

The tech who installed XP on the workstations also created Mapped drives to the users folders on the server. The users don't save through these drive letters so we tried to disconnect them. We recieved a "files are open on this drive - data will be lost etc." The mapped drives disconnect but reconnect themselves at reboot or logon.

We checked the server for open files, sessions still open etc. etc. Cleaned up everything rebooted server and workstations. Just cannot permanently disconnect those mapped drives.

Suspect this is related to the problems with Corel and Illustrator.

Any clues???

JON

Dear Balin,
Believe it or not, you aptly described my predicament.
I just installed corel 10 on a second computer and it is doing exactly what you described. However, on my first computer I have never experienced this kind of problem(all my computers operate in windows XP proffesional and my server is windows NT) Trust me, I'm just as stumped as you. I'd be glad to discuss this.

(A very happy New Year to you all.)

Yep - same problem:

I have, until recently, been happily using both Coreldraw 10 on my XP machine via a Win2000adv server.
I have a very high spec machine, a 100 mb connnection to higher spec server, but am now almost completely unable to save, copy or even open files accross the network. I am simply told that the file is open elsewhere, and a temporary file is created, stopping me from accessing the original file until I re-boot the machine.

A similar problem with AutocadLt - apparently to do with its "unique" method of saving files - was resolved when I upgraded from ACADLt2000 to 2002. This problem was not resolved by upgrading to Corel 11.

I am at my wit's end - and sinking under the weight of a gazillion duplicate temporary files - so any help with this problem would be much appreciated. I will be intouch if I find anything useful...

Kind regards

Chris Russell

Further to my earlier posting:

I had a good shop around about this problem, so see whether it was a corel thing, an XP thing or a Windows 2000 thing. Microsoft says there is a known error which seems similar:
Generic error messages that indicate errors copying a file or opening a file appear at random on the Windows XP SP1 client.

CAUSE: These problems occur because of an incompatibility in Server Message Block (SMB) signing between Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP SP1. By default, SMB signing is turned on on domain controllers only when possible. By default, you only experience this problem when you copy files to and from a domain controller. However, if you apply policy settings or set registry keys to servers, you may experience problems when you copy files to and from a server.

I have tried the workaround they suggest ( which can be found at:

)

and it seems to work so far - I have had no error messages so far.

Although the details of the workaround didn't reflect my settings exactly, turning off the SMB signing seems to have had a positive effect. I am still testing it, though.

Drawist

Well it's nice to know other are having similar problems....but we are still without a solution.

We are currently doing a couple of things. When talking to other network type techs i've had the same advice from 3 of them. IE XP pro is not the best solution for workstations connected to Win 2000 server. "You should have used Win 2000"

On one of the 2 machines we have just installed Win 2000. Seems to have cleared thing up. By the way an XP licence entitles you to install Win 2000.

During installation the tec recvd errors related to "system policies" on the server. We suspect that there are some settings related to user rights / policies that are involved. To complicated for me.

Haven't used the other machine still running XP but will keep you posted.

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back