Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP unable to see other computers in LAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxEgg

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
AU
I have Win 98 on several machines in our office LAN and every W98 sees every other W98 machine.

Recently, I bought a Dell Celeron with XP home with the intention of using it as a node.

It only sees ONE of the other computers on the LAN. I have named the Workgroup the same.. and the only time it sees another computer is when I set the IP address to automatic set IP address.. rather than using a designated IP address... For some reason, our IT advisor says that some of our computers need to have a fixed IP (dont ask me why),,, My Win 98 machines see every computer in the LAN.. fixed or non-fixed IP.

The XP ONLY sees the non-fixed

Any clues, ladies and gentlemen...???

I tried to get our guys to wipe the XP and install 2000 but the drivers for the network card and video were not available (???dont exist).. so I am stuck with XP

Our IT guy (<-a good guy) dislikes XP with a passion ... tells me that there is no netBUI on XP and this is part of the problem...

Thanking you in advance

John Fox

XP Home cannot participate in a Domain so that may be part of your problem. Or if the other computers are only running NetBEUI then XP won't see them.

NetBEUI is available for XP it is on release CDs (not most OEM) if you need NetBEUI it is just a couple of files I can send to you. email me at rjkrash@hotmail.com and tell me where to send. ----
&quot;eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.&quot; - annon

This could be a Tek-Tips FIRST... I think I have solved my own problem....

If you allow the XP machine to assign its own IP address on the Network automatically then the XP will only see other machines with IP automatically addressed

I fixed it by assigning a FIXED ADDRESS to the XP machine... then the xp saw all the machines with fixed IP addresses, but would not the one machine with the automatically assigned IP..

I fixed the problem... I have no idea of the significance of the solution...

Thanks to all for reading....

Yet another Tek-Tips FIRST... I think I have found another problem.... caused by my own solution..

By fixing the IP I can now see the other computers... But I cannot see a dedicated printer server (small bit of hardware which hangs of the network and converts a regular printer into a network printer)

Win 98 and Win 2000 see the printer server... not XT ....mmmm... (I wonder can I give myself a star if I solve this one too ?.... nah... might not be very ethical)

I have a XP machine, a winME, an a win98 machine all working great on a network. I assigned the XP 192.168.0.1 the ME 0.2 and the 98 0.3. I also made the gateway for each machine 192.168.0.1 Everything works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back