Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP - The death of Microsoft? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
So, it appears that Microsoft no longer trusts it's customers. How can they believe that Product Activation is a good thing for protecting consumers from the evils of piracy?

Personally, I think this will be make or break for MS, will everyone be shelling out for their software, and then be forced to activate it over the internet? For a start, are all consumers of Windows and Office really connected to the internet? I think not.

What does the future for the company I work for hold?
Well, we will be only going as far as Windows 2000 and Office 2000. If MS don't realise their mistake then we will continue to use this system until something better comes along.

Linux anyone? Ahdkaw
"What would you expect from a bunch of monkeys?"

This thread is out of control - the only problem here is that one company controls the computer world and that is wrong.

Just think how much our governments will be forced to cough up to go to W2K. 200 billion?

My city spends 10% of its infrastructure budget on IT - more than sewers and paving...

Remember, M$ has us - they decide when we must trash our old PC's - it is their marketing decision whenther a PII 300 can run XP or not.

PTCruiser, you have made a point. The general public should be free to buy whatever product they want, be it overpriced windows, or other.

Our tax dollars, however, should go for the lowest priced alternative.

Isn't this how it works with other government funding--contract to the lowest bidder. Linux desktop use may take getting used to. It may be argued that training costs may be too high. However, excess money should not be spent on windows servers. Linux has proven to be perfectly capable for server use, even on windows networks. The cost difference can't be ignored.

Kubilus

Our governments have made a grave mistake that we all are paying for through the nose. This situation is not sustainable. As far as I know of, no other company has this lock on an industry.

But the answer is simple - don't play the game. Windows 98 is a solid client platform and NT or Linux is a good enough server OS. Anything more is unneeded bells and whistles. I don't see anything compelling enough to upgrade. Therefore, M$ actions with XP become crystal clear - having nothing really new to drive sales - they must instead force everyone to switch to XP.

You're right.

At the company I work for, all the clients are win98 (with winNT WS in the plant for stability), the server is NT4 and they're all running on 4 year old (at least) systems. It get's the job done, it works. Occasionally I have to replace a power supply or do a win98 re-install, but we save a ton of money (and headaches) on our (miniscule)IT budget.

We just don't have any compelling reason to upgrade.

(I still don't like win98, but it does have it's uses)

I'm sorry I didn't read all 109 posts, so this may have been posted already. I don't think XP is going to fly anymore than ME did. The only 2 OS' ms ever came up with that was any good was w98 se and w2k. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"A pleasant illusion is better than a harsh reality."
Christian Nevell Bovee 1820-1904, US author.

Lots of users have lost their Win98 registration number and what can these people do? Nothing except buy a newer version. XP activation would be to the client's advantage if when you loose your registration number you can get it back from M$ so you don't have to buy a new licence for the product. Is it the case already? Can anyone tell us how hard it is to get our registration number back?

Let's take a look at M$ track record. How often did they do something to help their clients?

This doesn't seem to show they are helping clients by giving them a choice. If windows is that superior to Linux why are they so threathened by it that they have to do illegal things to keep it out of their clients box?

BeOS was an excellent operating system. They offered to give licences for free to Compaq, Dell, Hitachi and any other computer manufacturers so their OS could be known around the world. Wanna know what happened?

M$ doesn't do half what it could to help his clients out. It only wants money. The open source market is actually doing things for the people because they are the people.

Don't be fooled by M$'s arguments. They want nothing less than your cash.

At work I am on Windows because I have no choice. But at home I am on Linux.

Guess how much I payed for my OS? :) Gary Haran

Hey,I don't know about you guys, but even before windows xp was released over here,the crack was already spread.
I don't like XP, it eats my machine! I've installed it once,but a week later I had to format my hd to get it of again. There is an uninstall to go back to your previous system...yeah wright,it didn't work on my pc! I had to format it to get the darn thing of. Did I already mention my pc crashed during the installation? wanna know why? Because I was 50 meg short on my hd.
Nope,sorry, I prefer Red Hat Linux.

It is free and great to use in a company (most of the company I work in uses Linux)
Everything Micro$oft has,is already available for Linux! But the most interesting point of Linux is using it for servers. They are extremely stable (my machine runs already half a year without rebooting ONCE)

Face it...when it has to be stable,it has to be Linux

thnx.
Greetz,

The Muppeteer.

>Face it...when it has to be stable,it has to be Linux

linux, solaris, bsd...

I personally prefer linux, but the other *NIX typed OS's that are just as good.

"it has to be [insert operating system of choice here]"

don't you just love religous arguments? <smile> Mike
________________________________________________________________________________

&quot;Experience is the comb that Nature gives us, after we are bald.&quot;

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

Personally I think that everyone should search out on the internet for a software solution, instead of (like the company that I work for) going to M$ for everything. We need a SQL server, they install MS SQL 2000. We have a need for a clustered server to run a DB, it's got to be Win2K Advanced Server. And when you point out to your boss that Beowulf clusters are faster and more stable, and give them the white papers as proof, you are brushed off. I prersonally HATE M$ because companies get so blinded by the propiganda that they only see M$. It makes me sick how one sided it all is. Microsoft's code is BLOATED, Memory Hungry, and FULL OF SECURITY HOLES, why on earth would I want to put THAT into a production environment that handles milliions of dollars in financial trades on a daily basis. ARRRGGGHHH!!!!! M$ Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP is, in my opinion, are the worst OS' out there, bar-none.

They choose MS everything so they don't have to think and so they don't have to trust their more knowledgable subordinates. Managers like to think they know all about computers, make their own decision what is 'best' but they don't want to spend the energy/time to actually learn what is best, so they go with what's most obvious-Microsoft.

then years later, after bringing in a consultant to deal with something the network or tech support can't fix, find out that a linux server would cost next to nothing to license, then come to the network admin like it was the latest greatest idea to switch to a *nix server... like glendady had already suggested...

Been there, done that, they wouldn't even give me the !@#$%^& t-shirt

Quote from xutopia: <Lots of users have lost their Win98 registration number and what can these people do? Nothing except buy a newer version. XP activation would be to the client's advantage if when you loose your registration number you can get it back from M$ so you don't have to buy a new licence for the product. Is it the case already? Can anyone tell us how hard it is to get our registration number back?>

Just for the record, a couple of years ago, I mislaid my Win98 CD key. O.K., I know it isn't a problem, but out of interest, and perhaps devilment, I contacted Microsoft via e-mail to see if they could tell me the CD key for my registered copy.
There were a few re-directions and a few 'try here's, but the essence of the story is I got no joy.
I can only assume the same will stand for XP.
My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

hotfusion,

thanks for answering my question! :) So then registration is not a client advantage and M$ only uses registration to have our information to sell to people or use as Military intelligence! :) Gary Haran

people who use the word stealing when refering to software piracy, not the word stealing as much as the way they use it. of corse it is stealing but we are human beings and therefor natrualy devious. if you dont like that then jump of a cliff because your obviously not human. the reson why i use pirate software isnt because i dont like paying for things, i am happy to pay, microsoft charge £1200 for visual studio .net and i am a amature who dose not have £1200. Sun have a licencing policy that charges thousands for buissness users who can afford it and offers freeware for non-comercial use. that is the way the world should work, microsoft is just excluding the amatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back