Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP - The death of Microsoft? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
So, it appears that Microsoft no longer trusts it's customers. How can they believe that Product Activation is a good thing for protecting consumers from the evils of piracy?

Personally, I think this will be make or break for MS, will everyone be shelling out for their software, and then be forced to activate it over the internet? For a start, are all consumers of Windows and Office really connected to the internet? I think not.

What does the future for the company I work for hold?
Well, we will be only going as far as Windows 2000 and Office 2000. If MS don't realise their mistake then we will continue to use this system until something better comes along.

Linux anyone? Ahdkaw
"What would you expect from a bunch of monkeys?"

Thanks a lot, gunthnp.

That helps a lot. I read the paper completely and carefully. But still I don't trust M$.

First: This white paper is a research. It might be some hidden information in the code they didn't find out or presented.

Second: Using the online registration, M$ still can transport much more information than this code. It is sure that the amount of traffic is high, that is because M$ sends back new certification codes for the transmition, but still no one knows whether they transmit more than security codes for transmitting the ID-code generated like the white paper says.

Third: atleast you should only use phone activation. The possibilities of giving away more hidden information gets lower.

Forth: Today they just keep their eyes on the money and on piracy.
Tomorrow they decide who will be able to use a computer and who will be not!

Think about that! I don't believe that the USA will become a dictatorious state, but I still don't want technology to be exposed to even make it possible. Sorry, I am German, and I know what evil things people are able to do, even if they proclaim good intentions...

You never should stop thinking!
Mr. Surrender Himself

sounds like whatever you change on your machine, then you need to go and upgrade again ... i'll stay with my 14.4 modem under linux, looks less trouble !!! (come on, i'm sure someone will find a way to fool those !!)

(mister surrender, don't worry, at work i've got a faaaaaast connexion !)

I agree but at lest over the phone we know what they are getting. So long and thanks for all the fish.

This is amazing! I return after nearly 6 months and one of my threads is still being discussed!

I will still be boycotting XP as I originally promised, in fact I see little reason to upgrade from 2000, it's a perfectly capable OS, and XP can't be THAT much different otherwise W2K wouldn't have been such a leap from NT & 98. Surely they are just extending the functionality of the 2K OS?

Anyway, if Quantum computers become available in 5 years, then I am absolutely certain that Windows will not be 'the king of OS's' anymore. Ahdkaw
Where the sensible gather... or so they say.

Sorry if this is a repeated point but i just scanned through this thread and thought I would add a point.
I agree with butchrecon.

The alternatives to windows are cumbersome for the majority of todays PC users, and unknown outside of computing circles. I believe the revolution will come from the open source/freeware part of the industry, but not until there is an OS that is easily picked up by the majority of non-techies.

Just like everything else in this world, licensing boils down to money, and if the commercial side of an OS was removed (as with Linux), then there would be no licensing issue and eventually no more MS.

I am not saying I am a fan of MS either, its just that Bill Gates was a shrewd fellow and is now reaping the benefits of having such a well established product. Commercial competitors for the desktop have and will always fall by the wayside with regards to OS. Static Apnea - snorkelling in a swimming pool without a snorkel?

Hi pipk,

Gates is reaping the benefits of having such a well established product.

I might repeat myself. But why is it that it is that well established. Simply because lots of users copied it "illegally" in the 80th and early 90th. So he should complain about illegal copies and shouldn't restrict them, but share Windows everywhere where it's used in private homes. Most of industry is paying enough so he and MS got that rich.

Never stop thinking.
Mr. Surrender Himself

I agree entirely, I'm not defending microsoft - but what I am referring to is the deal that was done originally with IBM to put msdos onto every PS2 machine that rolled off the lines. Shipping windows in all its versions was just a simple matter - nothing to do with piracy, the market share was established long before piracy became a major deal.

Certainly over here in the UK, the home PC market has drastically changed over the past few years - there has been a massive increase in people buying PC's just to surf the net - they don't care about copying the software they are just interested in getting a PC that is easy to use and that is "Internet Ready" i.e Windows and an ISP pre-installed. Certainly in the UK this has been a big thing, i don't know about anywhere else but I imagine it is similar.

Yeah sure, piracy is massive, especially in the Far East, in fact the only reason MS has offices in the Far East is as part of its ongoing role with the BSA. They gave up trying to prosecute private users because its an area that is unpolicable, chasing Joe Bloggs through an expensive court case so he will stop using an illegal copy of Windows is not a way to save your money.

Business users and larger scale pirates have been targetted more often but still the prosecution ends up imposing a small fine and confiscation of equipment - and in places like HK, the pirate is back in business the next day.

On-Line registration. This is just MS attempt at trying to grasp more control over the part of the market where they have no power i.e. private users. Like all things it will partially fail, people will either find a way around it or if an alternative exist take that. This may be the point where Linux does get more coverage, but given its nature, it will be a long time coming before it is acceptable to current technophobic private PC users.

Static Apnea - snorkelling in a swimming pool without the snorkel?

micorosoft was got where is through fud it still does. So long and thanks for all the fish.

This has been an interesting thread, and I haven't quite read it all, but here's my take.

Microsoft doesn't rule the world yet. Even if you have to use XP, there will certainly be a multitude of supplemental apps available from 3rd party vendors. Don't want to activate Visual Studio XP, get a copy of borland's equivalent. Don't wanna activate OfficeXP, download Star Office (it's free--legally).

Plus, according to a side by side comparison on microsofts website, the improvements from win2000 to XP are so minimal, it is unlikely you would be hindered by sticking with win2000.

I have to agree with a post I readback there somewhere about students not being able to afford the full price for activation. Many companies will distribute there products for a fraction of the cost for students. Borland for example releases a free command line c++ compiler for students.

Boycott product activation if you want, it's not hard. There are other options out there, many you will find are quite a bit better.

Just had a look at M$ Xp RC2 and I have to say it looks like a complete load of bollocks (its an english expression for all you yanks out there). nothing new to offer other than the big fluffy colourful native controls and cutesy little dog who searches through your hard drive for you. It looks like the computer version of sesame street and will put off a lot of windows fans - yes there are some.

I'm having a turn of face on this XP thing. My friend has been playing about with ME, 2000 Server, and now XP Server. According to him, the difference between 2000 with IIS and all the Office gubbins, and XP is that XP is miles faster.

Now, he, like myself, is an M$ hater, but he is extremely surprised by this outcome and is actually in awe of M$ doing something right for once!

Hacks & cracks are now available for Activation, and as said previously, getting the pirate private user to court will cost too much for little gain. I'll be trying XP soon without the Activation script.

As to "Internet-Ready" PC's, they're a dying breed, PC sales worldwide have dropped. Non-techies don't want Windows if they don't have to, a Playstation 2 will keep that user in games, and internet-TV is on it's way. M$, IMHO, will lose further market share. Hooray! Ahdkaw
Where the sensible gather... or so they say.

It looks like the computer version of sesame street
LOL !!! ------
please review FAQ183-874 - this will help you to get the best out of tt
[ "you" is not someone in particular - don't take it too personnal ]

Voyager1 (IS/IT--Manageme) May 11, 2001 Wrote:
Again, I ask the question: If you were manufacturing a product to sell, and individuals and companies all over the planet were stealing it on a daily basis, what would you do?

I would do the same thing Microsoft did, build the cost of the piracy into the price of the software. My God, Man, you really don't think there is ANY other justification for the incredibly high prices they charge do you? Piracy is a risk of doing business for MS, just as shoplifting is a worry of grocery stores. However, tacking in a few cents to the price of every grocery item, or a few hundred to the price of a buggy, half-baked OS, is as far as these sellers need to go when it comes to intruding on their paying customers. Anyone who supports this type of invasive, money-grubbing BS probably doesn't have the mental acumen to comprehend how offensive this forced activation scheme is. 'Nuff said.

All,
Is there anyone out there who believes MS does *NOT* slither and skulk around your harddrive when doing the 'activation' procedure? Do you think Bill Gates ever said the words 'No, that would be wrong'? ........Excuse me, I had to compose myself after an uncontrollable bout of laughter.

Do you really think they *wouldn't*, say, check to see what competing apps are on your harddrive? Do you think they *wouldn't* go through that MS Money account to get a truer picture of your income or spending habits?

What would stop MS from doing that? Integrity and honesty. OH NO, ANOTHER BOUT OF LAUGHTER......................
--Jim

XP will die a natural death because they are introducing it way too soon after Win2K. Heck, many biznezez are still using 98 and the smaller ones 95. Plus this added negative publicity and 9/11 will post low sales. MS will have to rethink then repackage the XP into something cheaper / less intrusive many years from now.

Jacksonville DBase, Inc.

JAXDBase, never underestimate the gullibility of the general public types to buy into whatever crap the big corporations dish out. It's the same thing that sells so many wothless pop albums. MS is the BIG NAME and because of that fact alone, they can do pretty much whatever they want and still be successful.

Bill Gates--worlds greatest businessman, worlds worst programmer.

This would not even be a big issue if nobody wanted to use MS software. Eveyone wants to use it, but not everyone wants to pay. Granted, a few Mac and Linux users hate it and a true to their platform, but the rest are in two camps, honest and dishonest, truthful and liars, consumers and thieves. Don't mean to sound harsh, just realistic.

Take care.

edtp,
If you had read the thread, you'd know that the issue wasn't regarding paying--no one here seemed to have a problem with that--it was the intrusion that came with it.

If the electric company told you they'd need to give you an enema before they hooked up power to your house, and you complained, I guess that'd make you a liar and a thief. Don't mean to soud harsh, just realistic.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back