Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP - TCP/IP - ICS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigsby

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
GB
Right have a rather confusing problem, one network with three PC's running XP home edition.

HAve installed a 10/100 switch, PC's are configured as follows

pc1 - set to be host for ics so IP is 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 no gateway DNS is blank - has cable dsl MODEM attached

pc2 - fixed IP 192.168.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 gatewau is 192.168.0.1 - DNS set to configure automatically

PC2 - fixed IP 192.168.0.4 subnet 255.255.255.0 gatewau is 192.168.0.1 - DNS set to configure automatically

So far so good then ICS doesn't work - check all the hardware that seems good then run some tests:

PC1 - gets a reply on 127.0.0.1
- no reply from 192.168.0.1
- no reply from 192.168.0.3
- reply from 192.168.0.4
- no reply from any name pings accept external ones
- can access internet
- can't see other PC on network says workgroup not accessible

PC2 - reply from 192.168.03 & 192.168.04
- no reply from 192.168.01
- no reply to external IP's or names
- get a reply from name ping from pc3 but not pc1
- can see PC2 and PC3 on network

PC3 - reply from 192.168.0.1
-reply from 192.168.0.3
- reply from 192.168.0.4
- reply from name pings from PC2
- can see PC2 and PC3 on network

From what I can see there is obviuosly something wrong with settings on PC1 but can't for the life of me see what is is. I am a 2000/NT man so wonder if it some XP thing.

Help!

I suggest you should get your self a router. connect your dsl modem to the router and router to switch. config your router broadcast DHCP. set your pc1,pc2,pc3 to obtain IP automaticly. That would saving you alot of headach

1. Modem is or the self routing type

2. The dsl modem connection is USB so this should negate the need for two netwrork cards

3. Neither of these explains why network issues

But thanks for replying

Have you used the XP home wizard's?

I would suggest setting the ISP DNS servers to mannual on all the PC's. And install IPX/SPX protocal for the LAN network to use.

(and I would go with the DSL router, I've tried this one. And you NEED to have NAT routing to be problem free. Which only comes with 2K server)

Yeah used the wizards and tried manually.

Will try setting up the DNS manually.

Isn't IPX for novell?

rigsby,

I just caught the statement you made earlier about the modem being the self-routing type. Can you specify the make/model? It's a little unusual with a USB modem. Is there an RJ45 connector on it?

If that is the case, why are you setting up ICS? You've got a 10/100 switch. Let the modem/router do the sharing. Configure each of the computers either to DHCP or if you want to continue static, set the default gateway and the DNS to the router/modem's address.

[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Well it plug in to the PC via a USB port and then plugs into the phone socket so presumed it was

rigsby,

Actually, that does not imply it is a modem/router. I would guess it is justa modem. What is the make/model.

If there is a chance that you can swap out the modem for an external [non-USB model], do it and get a router. The cost is under $70, it provides firewall protection and set-up is amazingly simple.

Two points:

1. MS strongly recommends using DHCP for the client computers. Is there a need for specific IP addresses? Can you use DHCP?

2. There is a specific procedure to follow in setting up ICS on XP computers. See
I have a router and have not had to step through this myself but understand from others that if you follow the process carefully, it will work. Make sure that you are choosing the correct adapter to be configured as the Internet sharing adapter and as the LAN adapter. At this point, I would strip everything out and start from scratch double checking each step as I repeated it.

If it is not practical to strip everything out and start again, on each computer, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Copy the results and post them back here.

Good luck.
The Old Man

Can you also check which of the machines is the 'browse master'. This is the PC which keeps a list of what is wear on a 'peer to peer' LAN. Normaly it defaults to the first PC booted. But the table update normaly happens evey 15 min's or so. Which would explain the patche IP routing.

And IPX can be used on any OS.
It doesn't need an address setting because it work's off the 'MAC' addresse's of the network card's.

oldman,

Well I gave them a fixed ip as the ics host was not assigning them - which I thought was due to a tcp/ip prob.

i tried that practicallynetworking method before - everything looks god but the clients cannot see the host.

Unfortunately the modem is one that the ISP provides

gmlynx

Do you mean the hosts file?

Will try IPX but I'm not sure f thats an option on XPHE?

HAve been doing some research on this an think it may be due to the built in firewall that XP has may be causing the problems - well maybe!

Thanks to you both for your comments. I have got to go and sort this out on Saturday so if you have any ideas let me know

rigsby,

It could very definitely be the ICF causing the problem. ICF should ONLY be enabled on the ICS host and it must be configured to allow for ICS. If ICF is running on the client computers, it will prevent them from getting an address from DHCP.

Even if the modem is supplied by the ISP, some will swap it out for an alternate model.

IPX, unlike NetBEUI, is still supported on XP but is not insstalled by default. You can use either NetBEUI or IPX for sharing but neither will help with the internet sharing aspect of your problem. They will only help the file and print sharing. It is all doable with TCP/IP.

Check the ICF settings and post back with the IPCONFIG results. Good luck.
The Old Man

Ok fixed problem - rather embaressing - forgot to put the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255 into the firewall as acceptable IP range to allow access.

whoops, I am officially a spaz

>thud of head being slammed repeatedly in door<

rigsby,

No need to feel embarassed. I slam my head into the wall all the time! It feels so good when you stop!

Have fun.
The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back