Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Stop message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2002
GB
Please can somebody help me, am am at my wits end!!!! I have bought a nice new ASUS P4P800 MB with a 2.8Ghz P4 and 1gig Dual Ch DDR memory. I have also got it config'd with 2X80Gig SATA RAID 0Drives as my C/D parts and also 3 large IDE disks in RAID JBOD with a further 400gigs. I also have a GeForceFX5600 and a Pioneer DVD Burner.
My Problem:

My machine reboots when burning a DVD. I can burn a CD OK and I am now on my 3rd brand of DVD burner but to no avail!!
I have stopped the machine rebooting so I can see the stop message but I cannot find any help on it at all. Sometimes it will burn the full disc, sometimes it crashes when I start up a burning proggie (tried Nero nad EasyCD) sometimes it crashes after 5-10 mins.

The stop code is :
STOP 0X000000C5 (0X00000004 0X00000002 0X00000001 0X80538F42)

Like I say I can find no help at all on this one. I have rebuilt the machine 3 times now but nope!!I have tried discvonnecting various bits but can find no pattern. I DID disable ICMP V2 and it seemed to make it a bit tmore stable but only for a week! I have the latest drivers for all my hardware and have XP Pro Service pack 1 installed.

Please help cos this MB is about to get tossed out the window

Is there any way to find out what the corrupt driver might be? The system was stable when burnig DVD's (3rd time rebuilding!) for a while until last night I installed Norton2003 PowerVDV6 and the USB2 drivers for my MB. I have since uninstalled all 3 but this is still happeniing everytime I try and burn a DVD.

Can you try to use a partition on one of the IDE disks
as temp file area for cd/dvd burning.
(that is if you havent already this setup in your burning sw)

Dont exactly know what you you mean? I am burning a file already on my machine, not burning 'on the fly'

Burning CD/DVD use a cache on the harddisk
for building/preparing the data/image to record.

E.g in nero this is specified under
One the file menu:
File - Preferences - Cache

Default harddisk cache is "C:\Documents and Settings\"UserName"\Local Settings\Temp

Specify a temp directory on your IDE disk instead
if C: is SATA disk.

Thats what i mean.

Have you tried using System Restore to return to when you had some stability?

You can check for unsigned drivers with this tool.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

As far as I am aware the only driver that is not signed is the VIA RAID driver. As for moving the temp area to another disk all my disks are on RAID. I hsve 2X80 gig SATA for my c/d and 3 disks in a RAID JBOD for the storage. The JBOD array is the VIA one and not the one with the SATA that is using signed drivers.

Does anybody think it could be down to the USB2 driver? I did install it and that is when this started happening again? It is the driver included with XP SP1!

Yes i know . I was thinking a process of elimination here.
2*80GB disks is on serial ATA disk (w/raid)
3*disks is on IDE parallell ATA .

I thought you could try taking some data transfer/load
off SATA , incase there was some interfering in the stream
from SATA controllers to DVD on IDE controllers .

So check if burning from IDE(ata) to DVD(ata) is okay .
And check if burning from SATA to DVD(ata) is okay.

Think about it.

I noticed that this driver listed on asus web is
dated 12/11-2003
Version called 6410V210P1

On VIA arena
Released 26 November 2003
Version called
VIA_VT6410 IERAID_v210b.zip

So witch one to use ?? ( i don't know , but i guess
the ASUS one is ajusted for the mobo)

I have this same issue and found the fix. I have a MSI 875 FISR board, with 2x Raptor 10K in RAID 0. I would click the icon for Nero and it would blue screen with the same errors. I installed Intel® Application Accelerator RAID Edition v3.5.3 and have burned 3 DVD's with not a songle error. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back