Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP SP3 build........

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel999

Technical User
May 9, 2004
GB
Hi, - I was surfing/browsing as we do and came accross a download called..... XP Professional service pack 3 build.
A mega download so realised it must be an operating system but didn't take it on. - Does anyone know what it is because I was told that Microsoft are not releasing SP3 for some time yet.

Regards, - Mel

I couldn't say what it is, but I can say it is not really XP SP3.

Maybe it was XP service pack 3.

That said there are sites that offer unofficial XP sp3 (just hotfixe roll ups etc)
Wouldn't trust them at all, after all, they are using the MS logo's illegally !

Stu

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Maybe it was XP service pack 3.

Sorry OFFICE XP service pack 3

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

XP SP3 is not due out untill after the release of Vista. There is however an unofficial SP3 which is basically an image that someone made with all the latest post SP2 patches, i wouldn't allow it near a production setup in a million years.

Either that of as jessicatechy says it's probably virus/trojan filled i would avaoid it.

Thanks guys for the info. - Just called a friend and he was saying that there is a version of XP2 SP3 build available to download from the net. Apparently built by a person residing in India by the name of AMIT. He has purposley left out out certain windows progs like briefcase, outlook express, explorer and others. He goes on to say that this version has all updates on up until Jan 15th 2006 and requires no authenticity code whatsover. - Makes me shudder to think what people can do huh?

Regards, - Mel

Yeah well ive seen a few of those around, mainly on xp disc that people supposedly thought were corporate, what the person had done is delete some files on it to stop the registeration and sometimes they delete very important ones. Best just to purchase the cd legally as dont have to worry about bad validation and also you know its clean. Endless possibilities of what the world can do when it puts its mind to it.

There's lots of customized/slipstreamed versions of Windows install disks floating around. They're all over the torrent sites. But it's misleading (and stupid) of the creator to call it "SP3".
I wouldn't trust a single one of them either. Can you say "pre-installed rootkit"? :)

I can say this at 100% THERE IS A SP3. and several different programs will tell you that you have SP3 installed... but it is not recommended that you install the "quoted SP-3". If you want XP SP3 wait until it is "officially released" It will be worth the wait for those who use MS products.

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

SP3 is scheduled for release in 2007, and not until. I would stay clear of anything someone puts together, just as I wouldn't download any other updates from any other site.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Thanks for all your input guys - Taken it all on board.

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back