Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP SP2 Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpinning

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
AU
I have just been advised of the following.
Let us know what you thins and if it is true or not.

“Please note that XP SP2 may break applications (such as FrontPage, ActiveX). There have also been reports of it breaking commercial applications not developed by Microsoft. SP2 also alters the firewall settings. A number of organizations are delaying deployment until further testing.

Note also:
- you will need up to a 1GB of disk space, of which about 250MB to 450MB will be permanently used after installation.
- Microsoft recommends laptops are on main power due to the size of the installation. The service pack may complain about not being on mains power.

Please note windows XP-SP2 is now available from Microsoft, a result of several years work.

<

*Windows XP Service Pack 2 Feature List *

Learn about the key features included in Service Pack 2, and how each works to help you proactively improve the protection of your PC and personal information.
*Safer Browsing and Communication
**Feature

How it helps you
*Internet Explorer Pop-up Blocker
Makes browsing the Internet more enjoyable by enabling you to reduce
unwanted ads and content.
Internet Explorer download monitoring
Warns you about potentially harmful download and gives you the option to block files that could be malicious.
Internet Explorer Information Bar
Provides better information about events that are happening as your
browse the Web, so its easier to know whats going on and address
potential security issues.
Internet Explorer Add-on Manager
Enhances security and reduces the potential for crashes by allowing
you to easily manage Internet Explorer add-ons (programs which have
been added to the Web browser).
Outlook Express privacy update
Helps reduce unwanted e-mail by limiting the possibility of your
e-mail address being validated by potential spammers.
Attachment Manager
Monitors and disables potentially unsafe attachments, which could
contain viruses that might spread through Internet Explorer, Outlook
Express, and Windows Messenger.

*Powerful Security Tools
**Feature
How it helps you
*Windows Security Center
Allows you to easily view your security status and manage key
security settings in one convenient place.
Windows Firewall update
Automatically turned on by default, this improved firewall helps
protect Windows XP from viruses, worms, and other security threats
that can spread over the Internet.
Windows Firewall simple compatibility setup
Lets you set up Windows Firewall to co-exist with your favorite
Internet applications and home network.
Windows Firewall startup and shutdown support
Extends Windows Firewall protection to Windows startup and shutdown
time, ensuring enhanced protection from the moment you turn your PC
on to the moment you turn it off.
Automatic Updates enhancements
Helps you automatically stay up-to-date with the latest updates for
Windows XP. Also includes new technology to help dial-up customers
download updates more efficiently.

*Improved Experiences
**Feature
How it helps you
*Improved wireless support
Dramatically improves and simplifies the process of discovering and
connecting to wireless networks.
Bluetooth technologies
Enables you to easily connect to the latest Bluetooth-enabled
hardware devices such as keyboards, cell phones, and PDAs.
Windows Media Player 9 Series
Makes it easy to enjoy music, video, and broadband content with
enhanced security.
DirectX update
Helps you enjoy advanced graphics and gaming with the latest DirectX
technology from Microsoft.

bpinning,

. Yes there are application issues with this service pack, Microsoft itself admits problems with its CRM product. For as ambitious an update this Service Pack represents, I am surprised how fee application problems have surfaced.

I am not certain what source your are quoting, but personally I have not see issues with Front Page or Active X.

. I have "pushed" this Service Pack beginning Friday to quite a large number of XP clients. In the main their reaction has been a happy one to ecstatic. Many swear that XP works faster, and IE has become faster.

I have yet to find anything to discourage the use of Service Pack 2.

You may have possibly read reports based on pre release versions?. The only issues that I have heard since the update are to do with firewall/antivirus incompatibilities. Check your info sources if you are concerned about installing it.

gpalmer711,

There is a potential issue with Front Page Extensions under IIs, and I never could replicate the problem with SP2 Release Candidates, and I cannot with SP2 final.

The P2P Community is up in arms, as SP2 monitors any process attempting to open quickly more than 10 connections to the internet. This is exactly how a Blaster or Sasser infected machine was able to create a huge mess, and the result was a decision to queue these connection attempts and open them slowly. I suspect there will be a registry hack for this feature, buty I have yet to see it.

Some remote control programs have issues that the default logon authority for the XP service Remote Procedure Call was changed from "Local System" to NT Authority. My own view is that this is the right thing to do, but you can revert the setting with a Start, Administraive Tools, Service, Remote Procedure Call, Logon tab setting.

bpinning said:
- Microsoft recommends laptops are on main power due to the size of the installation. The service pack may complain about not being on mains power.
could you be more specific ? any link will be appreciate !
tia

I have found that ftp is a little glichy. I can FTP to a site on one machine with IE FTP, but not from the cmd line. However, on another machine, I can FTP from the cmd line, and not from IE. I think it may have something to do with NETBIOS name resolution. I'm looking into it more and still playing, but from the most part, I am also happy with SP2.

I too would like a reference.

I suspect though it is true. In order to lighten the burden on dial-up users, those selecting Automatic Updates with dial-up get a special sort of background process for downloading and applying the update. Most of the update will actually hold until you initiate a shutdown. It is an interesting Windows Update feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back