Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP SP2 anoyance question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbailey

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
I noticed that after installing Windows XP SP2, that a pesky reminder always tells you that your system is not setup for auto-update. That’s what I want. Does anyone know how to stop this message from loading on the systray?

Thanks

Hmmm....I will have to check on that one. But how did you get SP2 already? (I can't get it from windowsupdate)

Go to control panel - then to the Security center group icon - then on the auto-updates Properties on the bottom - set it to either "tell me when updates are there" or downlaod and tell me when they are ready" and the auto-updates section in the center should turn yellow. This will turn off the message in the system try. The message will continue however, if any of the sections in the center are red. Follow the instructions in the different sections to make them either yellow or green andyou will see no messages.

Deuce199

A+, Toshiba Associate Technician (Laptops), Dell Certifed Technician (Desktops, Servers, Laptops), IBM Certified Technician (Laptops, Desktops, Warranty)

SP2 is temporarily removed from the Windows Update site. August 25 is expected as the new release date.

As to notifications appearing and stopping them, from the newsgroups. Open notepad and create a new file to be called no_complain.reg and then copy/paste the below:
---------Start copy/paste below this line-------
REGEDIT4

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;
; Dont complain about the firewall being off.
;
; Also turns off anti-virus and Automatic Update warnings.
; Comment out the lines below as desired.
;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000001
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000001

---------End cut here---------

Save the file and then double click it to merge with your registry. Reboot.

Please let me note that the above registry edit includes all the notifications involved with Service Pack 2. Please pick and choose as needed and delete the others.

Bill

philote,

The network install can still be found, but the "Automatic Update" from V4 and V5 of Windows Update sites has been pulled.

I didn't try the registry change yet. I was hoping for something easier to implement.

If you want to do this manually then do the following

Start > Control Panel > Security Center > On the left click on "Change the way security center alerts me" > Untick the Automatic Updates box > Click OK > Close out of Security Center.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

easy easy way: run services.msc from command line, look for Security Center, change the property from 'automatic' to 'disable'.

Thanks Bcastner for the great advice. It worked great. no more messeges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back