Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP slows down the net - very strange!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidimurray

Technical User
Oct 11, 2003
GB
hello

I've just setup a home network consisting of a Linksys befsr41 connected to a NTL broadband modem. There are then 3 PC's connected to the router - one running 98SE, one running ME and one on XP. Now if either, or both, the 98 and/or the ME machine are on everything is fine. Shared folders is ok and net access is great.

If you then turn the XP machine on everything is fine for the first 10 minutes (whether the 98 and ME machines are on or not) then the net suddently slows to a crawl and becomes completely unuseable. Not only does it affect the XP machine but also the others as well! The strange thing is that the shared file access between machines continues to run fine - it's only the internet thats affected. Turn the xp machine off and everything goes back to normal.

I've tried upgrading the router firmware and a factory reset but no joy

Please help - i'm going bold!!!

Thanks in advance

Dave

I suspect this is a BT issue.

Leave this same note in the TCP/IP Forum "attention Grenage"

Your hardware is probably fine, but it is BT who is becoming unhappy with what your are trying to do.

I would vote more for a worm. Make sure that your anti-virus is up to date and do a full scan of your XP box.

-Mike

I had a work that ate so much bandwidth called W32.Welchia worm. Google search, symantec has a fix for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back