Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP slowness when server is offline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigchiefdan

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2007
US
Ok, Im at my wits end here.
I have 6 locations (including main site), each location has a local server. main site has primary DC. Each site server is also a DC. all pcs are xp pro with current patches.
If local site server is turned off or offline, several pcs (not all) at that site freeze every few minutes for several seconds.

If I demote server at local site(dcpromo), problem still exists.

There are no mapped drives, no dns, no wins, pointing to local server.

I really do not want to reload the pcs that have this problem, but there is no longer a need for the local server to be there. It was used as a file server and print server. these needs have been eliminated.

Any suggestions on where to look or what to look for?

Have you removed the PCs from the domain??? Can you remove them from the domain?? It's not clear if you are communicating with the DC at the main site still.

Have you removed all the shortcuts in my network places and looked at the MRU in the registry for any mapped network drives or printers that still might be trying to be contacted?

They don't have profiles that live on the server do they?

Do a regclean with CCleaner after all the above as well.

I have removed the PCs from Domain, no change
I have changed IP address, no change
There are no shortcuts, printers, or mapped drives that I can see.
If I disable the network connection (unplug cable), it works fine.
All the pcs are the same physically - hardware & drivers
I do not understand MRU?

Connect to the network and computer slows down.
thread779-1481432

MRU (Most recently used) appears in the Registry in several locations. It relates to the history of things "most recently used". Some of them might be pointing to the old Server.

Do a search in the registry for "MRU" - there are lots of matches. Scope out each one.

also, check the system environment variable PATH
to see if it references the server....
remove it if so, this can make a difference

Aftertaf

Sometimes it just needs a good kicking.

I would also try

flush the arp cache
netsh interface ip delete arpcache

reset TCP/IP and winsock
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

Sounds like there's a conflict on the network, quite possibly. If 2 machines are trying to use the same IP address... or trying to do something at the same time, same way, you might be creating a conflict between the two.

It would be tedious, but can you possibly narrow down which specific machines are the problem causer(s)? I'd think that most likely it's caused by one or two machines in direct conflict somehow.

Worth a look - if possible.

All good ideas. Aftertaf's post was the winner. Thank you all. The PCs having the issue had the following line in the PATH statement
\\<SERVER>\NETLOGON
Where <SERVER> is the name of the server at that location that was removed as a DC.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back