Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP slowing......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotsdude

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
GB
hey all,

My XP pro seems to have started running awful slow recently.
Startup is noticably slower, and loading/quitting programs/games gives me enough time to make a cup of
coffee......
Any ideas what it might be?

Cheers,

Scotsdude[bravo]

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

Check for unnecessary services running in the background

See what is loading at start up that you don't need. Have a look at any virus scanning program you have running.

If this only started happening very recently, consider what software you recently installed that could have caused this. Also try using System Restore to get back to when you were happy with performance.

i had the same problem i ran a virus scan first no good
i then ran my spy program and found a load of junk that was slowing it down.if you haven't got this type of program run msconfig.to stop unwanted programes running.

Also, you may want to use the program BootVis (from Microsoft). It will allow you to graphically examine your boot sequence to help you determine what is taking all the time at startup. It also has a tool to optimise your boot sequence, thereby signifigantly improving your boot time.

I found the link to the program at http:/
- James.

hi turn off sysrem restor in control panel select system in system select system restor tab select turn off

regards
Mandar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back