Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp slow over wan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteeler

MIS
Oct 27, 2003
US
We have a NT 4.0 domain and a wide area network via dedicated cable modems and adi (software) boxes. XP systems in the building work fine with no speed issues. XP systems outside the building going through our wan are extremely slow booting up and most importantly running any kind of software involving the network. Windows 98SE systems that are older at the same location are much faster??????

Thanks for any help!!!!

How are you mapping your drives from the outside the office PCs?

What is your bandwith?

GlennA
MIS

The pcs are set up to log onto our domain through tcp/ip, wins, and gateway setup. I don't know the exact bandwidth - not the greatest, I'm sure, but there is such a big difference between the xp and 98se pcs....hope I'm explaning this ok...

1. Remove the search for Scheduled Tasks by clients:

By default the "Scheduled Tasks" installed as default in Windows 2000/XP scans shared files for Scheduled Tasks. And it turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network because Windows 2000/XP is using the extra time to search the remote computer for any Scheduled Tasks.

Removing that functionality will not cause Scheduled Tasks to break, & it will speed up your browsing significantly!

Open up the Registry and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

and delete it.

2. Patch the Redirector

3. Fix SMB Signing and Opportunistic Locking Issues:

4. Slow Xp to Domain: Registry Change

5. Slow Domain to XP client: Registry Change

6. Force Kerberos over TCP/IP instead of UDP

Thank you, thank you...I won't be going out to that office today but will definitely let you (and the forum) how I made out. It all looks like exactly what I need....

masteeler

You might like this then.

Unless the users are heavy users of Active Desktop, and require constant refreshes of their wallpaper from a web site:

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, stop the Web Client service, and set to disable in Startup options.

It usually makes a big difference over WAN links.

This can be pushed through Group Policy.

Great - and just for your info - the latest hotfix from article 811169 - "update to increase the performance of the network redirector" will be ready at 1:30 today (eastern stand. time)...jen

We are getting more and more SP2 releases. MS at the beginning of the month said they were going to adhere to a month-end scheduled update service, and I am guessing this is what you are referring too.

The redirector patch has been available if you are brave and Google hard enough.

I'll have to check it out...sometimes I get so aggreivated that I'll try anything...as long as it's not on my pc...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back