Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Sleep Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Footnotes

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
I have a Dell laptop running XP Pro. When it goes into sleep mode and then is woke up it gives off a shrill alarm. I bought the laptop used and assume there is a password that would prevent this. Does anyone know if I can turn this alarm off. It recently went off in our motel room at 12:30 AM and the wife was not happy.

Thanks,

Foot Notes

It sounds like you have an add-on program like this installed on your laptop. Look around in add-remove programs for the culprit.

Otherwise, I would guess it's an ACPI setting that should be available via BIOS. I can't say for sure since you've supplied limited information about the problem.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I bought the laptop used and assume there is a password that would prevent this.
what makes you assume that?
It recently went off in our motel room at 12:30 AM and the wife was not happy.
did it go off on it's own? or where you forgetful and powered it up while the wife was asleep?

mostlikely you do have an app installed, as whanula suggested, something along the lines of an alarm clock, or similar...

I do aswell, and I know that if I miss a wakeup call, it will haunt me when I repower the laptop/pc...

but just to be sure, list what make of laptop it is...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

BadBigBen, I thought of the password because the laptop alarm goes off as soon as you hit a key. Struck me as a security alarm of some type. This only happen after the laptop has entered sleep mode. It never happens while booting.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will hunt around some more.

Foot Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back