Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP shows 3 of 16gigs free space when there should be 10 free

Status
Not open for further replies.

phro

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
if i explore my sytem drive and highlight all the folders in it without going any deeper than the first level of folders then go to file and select properties it tells me 7.66 gigs is the size of these files and folders.but when i look at the drive properties it says i am using 12.9 out of 16.7gigs, what up wit that? i had a beta verion that expired on the same drive but it is seperate from the current o.s.(installed to a different folder)could this be my problem or cause other problems unseen or in the future?

Make sure you are showing all hidden and system files; swap files, system restore, recycle bin and indexing can take up a fair bit of space. Check that you are not using disk quotas as these change the amount of free space reported. Also run chkdsk, this is more applicable to FAT 32 drives as often the free space count can be off.

Hope this helps

Some of your question may be answered by taking hidden files into consideration (although they hopefully don't account for all of it). Also, in the properties window, you will see a size for the files and another value for size on disk; I think (not sure) this is an indication of the amount of the disk space which is actually being taken up by the files due to the cluster size in use. For example, if you have a 32K cluster size and save a file that is only 2K, it still occupies a reserved space of 32K on your drive. A group of data can occupy multiple clusters, but a cluster can hold only one group of data. Hope that makes some sense; it's my rather simplified way of understanding the whole thing myself. Another common culprit for wasted space is temporary internet folders. To clear these in XP, go into IE and click on Tools and Internet Options, then look for the portion of the box that says "Temporary Internet files" and use the Delete Files button. Hope this all helps. Good luck!

It is an NTFS drive, and I emptied the temp files, temporary internet files, and the recycle bin after deleting everything that was simply taking up space. Disk Quota's are not being used. I have managed to free up some more space, by deleting files that i didn't need* giving me 7.1gigs of free space but there are about 3gigs of space that should be free that i just can't find.

* which means (and it tooka minute to see this..->)I should have even more free space than I should have had in the first place since the space I thought I "gained" was just space that was accounted for before, that I just deleted. right?

it's a pisser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back