Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP setup - Error Code 8192 - While copying setup files

Status
Not open for further replies.

slloyd82

Technical User
Jan 20, 2009
US
I have a toshiba satelite laptop that I am trying to load XP onto and keep getting the error code 8192. I've already replaced the memory and I'm still unable to install XP. It happens when the setup is trying to copy over the instillation files. Could this be a CD-ROM issue? I tried loading the install files to a USB drive, but there is no but to USB option in the BIOS. I've also tried multiple XP install CDs. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Your links result in "The page cannot be found" errors when I click on them.

Register for free at one of these sites if you wish to upload and link to images.

See the paragraph "You Receive a File Copy Error During Setup" in this article.

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

307848 - HOW TO: Start Setup from MS-DOS in Windows XP

I've also tried multiple XP install CDs
are these originals or burned copies?

the error usually occurs when the DVD / CD DRIVE cannot read the media correctly...

now if they are burned copies, e.g. nLite updated CD's, then I suggest you BURN them at the SLOWEST speed possible...

alternatively, try a USB DVD/CD drive...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Have you tried lightly cleaning the laser on the cd-rom drive? Clean it with a q-tip lightly moistened with rubbing alcohol, clean, flip q-tip, dry.

If that doesn't work, try cleaning the disc. Have you tried a different copy? Give that a shot, but it definitely a read error of some sort, disc or physical issue with reader.

Beware of hackers bearing executables. Happy Hunting. 'irc.2600.net'

Thanks for the replies. I convinced the people to buy their daughter a new laptop. The one I was working on for them was waaaay to old for an Art Student anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back