Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Service Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdr67

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2002
NZ
Just ran the XP SP1 as a MSI install and it took 40 mins, I guess it is completing the archive process first. Does anyone know a method to stop the MSI from doing the archiving part of the install when using an MSI. Or a technique to install 1000+ workstations (and I havent got SMS!)

Ta

If you're using win2k server you can 'push out' updates- and I believe you can do it so it is invisible to the user (except for the noise that the hard drives' make while updating. I know I did it for IE6 SP1 and it works like a breeze (although I didn't push it out to the desktops because we use mainly win98 here) =/
-Mike Johnson

thanks, I like the idea of pushing out updates automatically, althought thats what I thought msi's did? Looked through thise links and without a centrally installed copy the only other way of pushing out updates is throught the installer service (MSI's)- great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back