Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Service Pack 2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasus

MIS
Mar 6, 2004
US
Anyone here installed it and used it? I have and have not had problems with it except one thing. It seems that when I try to login to my web server and use Citrix Nfuse, I cannot launch any applications. It worked before I installed Service Pack 2 and it I know its not my Citrix Box because Nfuse works on all other machines that do not have Service Pack 2 installed. Im just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if so were you able to get it fixed.

Thanks
= )

this
is a known issue due to change of functionality with SP2. It has to do
with how IE now handles MIME types from the server. Citrix has stated
that they will come up with a fix for this (no time frame given).

Try this workaround:

When you are selecting an app to launch, right click and 'save target
as'. This will download the 'launch.ica' file for the application
you want to launch. Then after it downloads, click on 'open' and the
application will launch.

Another workaround is to disable this new MIME-handling logic, more
about this below.

In Windows XP Service Pack 2, Internet Explorer follows stricter
rules that are designed to reduce the attack surface for spoofing
the Internet Explorer MIME-handling logic.

Web servers that do not include the correct Content-Type header with
their files and that use non-standard file name extensions for HTML
pages now have their pages rendered as plain text rather than HTML.

Web servers needs to be configured to use the correct Content-Type
headers. Web developers must change their Web servers to host files,
using consistent headers and file name extensions.

You can disable this new behavior on your local computer with some
registry settings.

More about this under the two sections
"Zone Settings for MIME Sniffing"
"Internet Explorer MIME Handling Enforcement"
in the Word document WinXPSP2_Documentation.doc

WinXPSP2_Documentation.doc ("Changes to Functionality in Microsoft
Windows XP Service Pack 2") can be downloaded from here:

WinXP SP2 is not out alvalable to most the public yet is it? I know there is a test beta version but that's it. Cant get it in north America yet atleast.

Planned formal ship of XP Service Pack #2 to manufacturing is June 23, 2004.

The new link gives this response:
"We’re sorry, we were unable to service your request. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about Microsoft services and products.

bill-C, when will Xp SP2 be available to download from microsoft, is it May or will it be in June?

cheers
khaz = pech

The link listed above by BOURBAKI is correct and does work.
The XP service pack IS still in beta, what they have done is made available what is known as release candidate 1.
Is this what will be in SP2, who knows for sure. What they are trying to do is get as much info as possible to fix bugs before calling it officially sp2. In other words, they know there are some issues. Will it be ready by June 23rd??

Bobg1,

All indicates are that the June 23rd date is very much doable.

I should note that there will be SP2 Release Candidate 2 issued in early May.
Microsoft plans to make available Release Candidate 2 of Windows XP Service Pack 1 in May in preparation for final availability during the first half of 2004, company executives said during a briefing on Tuesday.
During the company's April security briefing, Rebecca Norlander, Group Manager of Microsoft's Security Business and Technology Unit, gave a demonstration of the much-anticipated service pack and said the company is considering adding spyware capabilities to a future version of Windows and/or service pack.

While noting that the next major release candidate will be available next month, Norlander advised solution providers and customers to hold off on full corporate deployment until the Windows XP SP1 code is finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back