Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Security Updates delivered by Zen

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingal

MIS
Aug 22, 2002
IE
Hi all,

We are currently working on our XP build for all our desktops and a question has arisen in relation to XP Security updates and software patches.

We have a consultancy company on site working on the builds.
They are suggesting that we have to implement a SUS Server that connects to the internet, downloads patches, packages them and pushes them out across the LAN/WAN.

We have a couple of problems with this.
1. We are a secure site with no internet access anywhere from our network.

2. We are using ZFD 4 - so I can't see the reasoning behind
a requirement to support another distribution method.

My preferred method would be to download updates as a package, burn onto CD and transfer to our network and distribute via zen.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Cheers,
Ian

WE are like you What we do is get the HOTfix's use wise Software turn them in to MSI or Web updates and then push them out as a force run for the dummes or push them out as a web update with idots guide.

We have a SUS server that is pushing Microsoft updates to the desktop and it works just fine. We used Zen to get SUS started at each workstation initially, after that all works well. We have been pushing security patches down like that since January and it has been working well.

I'm running a SUS server and IMHO it sucks loudly. Try to update IE on a client that is configured to a local SUS, you can't. The IE update isn't available to SUS but IE uses the Windows Update methodology, therefore you have to disable the client SUS config to fetch the IE update.

Oh, and try to track who has what patch. Rediculous. I'm waiting for my Zen4 disks to arrive so I can rip SUS out by the roots. SUS, and the IIS it requires to operate.

See Zenworks Patch Managment on the Novell Website. A more automated method than just forced runs

Zenworks 4 is what I am using at work. Once you do your patch management using Zen, it should be much better. Do go to Novell's site for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back