Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Restore Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubruoy

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
I got a computer from someone that has a few programs and XP Pro installed. I got the programs with the computer, but the seller wanted to keep his XP Pro and so I purchased XP Pro for this computer.

The computer runs well and has no problems and I was wondering if I could put my disc in, boot the computer, run restore with this disk and end up with the computer intact with my xp installed instead of his.

I would rather do this than reformat and reinstall everything if possible. I could just leave it the way it is but I doubt it would be legal eventhough I purchased xp for this computer since the key code would not be correct and he will be installing his xp on another machine.

Thanks wasisnt...I thought that this would work but I wasn't sure. I imagine that I will have to download all the windows updates but I would have to do that anyway if I did a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back