Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Restarts instead of shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlee

Technical User
Apr 9, 2001
US
On a friends Athalon box with XP home (upgraded from 98), when ever he tries to shut down the system, it does a restart instead.
He tells me the bios is only about 4 months old or so, but I have him looking for an update anyway. Does anyone know of an easy fix for this?
Thanks
Mark

Hello,

There was another post on this some where else (but I couldn't find it). Basically he is probably running into a critical error right as he is shutting down. The default option on WinXp is to do a memory dump and reboot. So instead of going through the entire shut down routine he is getting stopped somewhere. You should take a look at your system logs to see if there are any critical errors. (You can get to this by right clicking on my computer and going to manage, I believe it is also in administrative tools).

Just an idea... good luck

Brad

if I do find the other post I will post it :)

XP won't shut down!! I did an upgrad to XP from ME which went quite well. However, I haven't been able to get the computer to shut down, except by holding in the power button. It will go thru the restart ok, only the shutdown is hanging me up. Another question..on XP can i lock a file or folder so only I have access to it? If so, how. Thanks

Have him check the control panel under power options, in the APM tab. Make sure it's checked. When I did a fresh install of XP on both my laptop and my fairly new Athlon box, it wasn't checked by default for some silly reason. *MY* symptom was that my computer wouldn't turn off.. just would go to the "It is now safe to power off your computer" or something. Maybe his issue is related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back