Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Repair Reinstall won't accept valid "Product Key"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAggie

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
US
HELP!!!!
I am trying to do an XP repair install to resolve a corrupt OS that was hit by a nasty Trojan/virus that triggered Norton to remove several key OS components (userinit.exe, exporer.exe, ...).

The original OS was Windows Media Center Edition (WMCE) 2005. I did not have the OEM disk but I do have MSDN to I created an XP Pro Disk and tried to use the MSDN provided product key but it won't accept it. I then created the WMCE 2005 Disk and tried with that key ... No Joy. I then found the Windows Key on the bottom of the laptop ... No Joy. I tried an XP Pro key I have personally used before with the XP Pro install ... No Joy. I can't seem to get it to accept ANY key and I have several valid ones. Any ideas? I really need to get this laptop back up by Saturday and I really don't want to have to reinstall all the applications.

The person this laptop belongs to is going out of town Saturday and he really needs to take it with him.

I am stuck in the setup loop and can't past the XP Product Key entry screen.

HELP!!!!

You have to match the key code from the sticker on the computer with the correct installation CD type. You have to match OEM vs. Retail and you have to match Home/Pro/MCE.

There's no way around it - you'll need an OEM WMCE CD.

I have a retail CD and key that match (from MSDN). So does it also check the key on the hard drive so I need a 3-way match. If that is the case, is there any way to kill/change the key on the hard drive so I can get past this? I can boot Knoppix to make simple changes.

Just call MS and explain this situation using the info presented in the dialogs. I had the same situation not long ago, and they gave me a new activation code. That's the easiest solution for now, but if you ever need to do a reinstall, I would expect the same problem to crop up again.

I contacted Microsoft. The said I have to have the OEM Disk.

I considered calling Dell to get a new OEM CD as an option but that would have taken more time that I had. I guess I could always call Dell to see; but, I should know by early next week if our new pastor (who the laptop belongs to) can find the OEM CD at his house in PA.

In case you have to reinstall the OS from scratch and the pastor can't find the CD, you could always check to see if this Dell model included a recovery partition. With it, you can restore the laptop to its original configuration when it was shipped in a short amount of time.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

All the computer manufacturers that DON'T include a CD or DVD or Windows OR a recovery CD/DVD should be kicked.

Recovery partitions are TOTALLY USELESS when the hard drive dies and then you have to call and try to order them from the manufacturer. A total pain that you shouldn't have to go through if they just included the media with the computers to start with.

End of rant.

Yep that's for sure. Usually Dell includes both, so that shouldn't be an issue here...

I'd agree. We have been loyal Dell users in our shop, they are decent computers and we've really had very little problems but the big thing I like is they provide a Windows disk and a driver disk. So the first thing I do when I get a new PC is wipe the disk drive clean and install JUST the OS. Well I've created my own image so I don't have to spend hours doing that ... but you get the picture.

We thought we'd be smart and see what others offer and bought a half dozen Toshiba laptops about 4 years ago and they sucked. They give you a recovery disk (which is still better than nothing) but the disks were loaded with crap. So after a reinstall you'd have to go in and remove all their crap. So I just redid the DVD with my own version of images.

But yes, partitions with the recovery data do nothing if the physical drive dies. And of course they never give you the software when you get a replacement disk. But they'll be happy to sell you one.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Wasn't there a class action lawsuit over making it mandatory to provide some type of operating system cd or recovery option along with an OEM computer????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back