Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Remote Desktop Web Connection does not work 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizon2000

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2001
US
I have a following configuration:
Host side:
Router Netgear FVS318, IIS working on XP pro on the same box.
Lan consiting of three boxes 192.168.0.X
I have set up the router to provide static IP addresses for these boxes.
The DHPC is set up for a range 192.168.0.10-100.
NAT is setup so the port 3389 opened for TCP/UDP is forwarded to IIS.
IIS setup for anonymous connections.
The Web RDC is setup, I can see the Windows Remote Web Connection Page when I try to access the PC from the WAN side.
The WAN IP is static but it has not changed for the last year. I have a Dynamic DNS as well.

The client is behind Dell truemobile wireless router with NAT enabled and ip range 192.168.1.x. 3389 is opened.

I have VPN working as well. With VPN a regular RDC works, however without VPN the Web RDC does not. When I try to access without VPN with Web RDC I am getting message that "The client could not connect to the remote computer. The remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy..... "

Please help me out!!!

Thank you for your reply, but I already do that. The problem is that I've set it so the terminal services are listening on port 8080, but when I try to connect to 192.168.1.103:8080 I get a connection error. When I connect to 192.168.1.103, it works just fine. However, I NEED it to be listening over that specific port.

I have never had the issue. On the host, are your certain that you entered the port in Decimal?
On the host a netstat -an should show the port listening on whatever port you assigned, it it shown listening on 8080 or 3389?

From the client telnet 192.168.1.103 8080
If it errors, the port is clearly not set correctly in the registry, and/or a port forward is missing.

It was still listening on 3389, so I did a system restore, reset the port to 8080 and it worked.
Thanks for all your help.
LBD

I am tyring to do the same thing littlebluedevil is doing but with some problems.

My goal is to connect to my home computer from work. My work's network has an http proxy server on it. I have changed the listening port on my home computer from the registry to 8080. netstat -a son the host computer shows that I am listening at port 8080. I am able to connect to the computer from another computer at home using WAN_IP:port and it is successful. I have tried it form another computer outside of my LAN at that worked too.

My work has an HTTP proxy over port 8080. But when I try to connect it tells me that "the client could not connect to the remote computer".

Any help is appreciated. thank you.

From the client telnet 192.168.1.103 8080
If it errors, the port is clearly not set correctly in the registry, and/or a port forward is missing, and/or your site proxy server will not pass the traffic.

Clearly the port is set correctly because I can access remote desktop from another computer outside of my network. The only place I can't connect from is from work, which is the proxy blocking it.

Is there a way to get through that http proxy?

I know this is a stupid question, but I have to ask ... when you are trying to connect, are you specifying :8080 after the ip address?

Yes, I am using WAN_IP:port. This works from another computer inside the LAN, a computer outside the LAN but not from my work computer.

Then I would say that your company might be filtering the port based on http packet headers. If you are a sys admin, you can always change that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back