Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP REMOTE DESKTOP AND WIN2k TERM SERVICES

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfear

Technical User
Feb 9, 2001
US
I am currently running remote desktop and term services. I am wondering if there is something built into windows. NOt software I have to download that logs the ip of either every machine that connects to my XP box or to my win2k box. So if someone were to remote destop to my XP Pro box is there a file I could check to see what IP they came in from ?? Please help.

Thanks

I think you can set audit policies in the security dialog from your terminal services on you XP OS.
For files or folders, it's found under properties - security - advanced - auditing It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

well I just want to know if there is anyway I can check which ip addresses have logged into terminal services or remote desktop. The reason being is I want to makesure only a certain employee is remote desktoping into an XP box and not multiple employees using the same account. So I would like to find out if built stock into XP is there some type of terminal services log?

thanks

If I am not mistaken, you could see what session is taking place with Terminal Services Manager. The IP address etc...

where is terminal services manager in 2k and is there something in XP ???

there are a few usefull set of tools in the win2k reskit that have to do with ts....have a look there

The TS Manager is on the computer that is the Terminal Server. If you are running W2K server, the full Admin tools are installed. If not you have to install Adminpak.msi from the W2K server CD and this computer has to be the TS.

Go to admin. tools/TS manager. You will see which computer is online with the terminal server. If there is no activity then all you will see is just the TS computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back