Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP REGISTRY

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach2

Programmer
Oct 7, 2002
US
Can someone tell me where to look for entire list of what's listed in my registry.I have win xp and it is a little slow on start-up.Also i've deleted kazaa from start-up but when my daughter does use it i notice it's back at the bottom on start-up.ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

You could first start by typing msconfig in the start->run menu and the last tab are programs loaded at startup. The Registry key you want to also look at, but you should see the same pgms in msconfig: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Also you could use Tweak XP or just do a search on google for windows XP tweaking, performance.

How long is bootup time? What are your system specs. Kazaa is spyware and is not something you really want on your machine. You are better off removing it and installing Kazaa Lite which has the spyware removed.

Windows XP Professional starts logon scripts, startup programs, and services referenced in these registry subkeys and folder locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

(From a "rjkrash" post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back