Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Registry Back Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

justout

Technical User
Dec 7, 2003
US
I have been trying to figure out how to back up my XP home registry. I've done a lot of reading and still can't find the answer. Although this may seem a rather simple question to some, please bear w/ me. I'm fairly new at this. Any step by step info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you [sunshine]

Another vote for Erunt. It has saved many a machine with Registry problems.

What's the difference between using Erunt and simply using the export feature in the registry?

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

"The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys."

From ERUNT notes.

I think of it as a factual statement.
Erunt is freeware by the way.

You should note as well that nowhere in the MS KB articles that I have seen is the suggestion that you use the export function of regedit as a means of backuping up the registry.

Wow, all this time I thought I was backing up the registry properly! Guess I start using Erunt.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

Just an additional input.

I tested out the msbackup with ASR diskette in XP
the other day .
Never had much interest for msbackup before ,
used driveimage mostly.

And must say i was impressed how it worked.
Found that taking ghost/DriveImage of the C: partition
is a complete waste.
Just make sure volume shadowing services is running.

Result was a totally identical C: with all Ms$ updates
intact after restore via ASR + xp-cd + backup-set.
(but i must say i got a little scared when
it started with a format )

Only difference was the disks data layout ,so
had to do a new smartplacement defrag.

I guess this is one reason to stick with a 3,5" floppy drive.

How exactly do I go about upgrading from XP Home to XP pro?

Some reading for you.

"a computer preinstalled with an OEM version of XP Home might not upgrade using a
retail version of XP Pro upgrade. This is especially true of laptop computers that have a
customized OEM version of XP Home installed. In that case, only a clean install will
work. Laptop computers require specialized hardware drivers not found in the
conventional "retail, upgrade" version of Windows XP."

Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro
thread779-551955

XP Home to Pro Upgrade
thread779-624396

How bad is upgrade from XP home to XP pro?
thread779-472923

307229 - Icons, Favorites, E-Mail Messages, and Customization Is Missing After Upgrade to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back