Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Re-installed, now Boot and System partition are messed up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbiker

MIS
Aug 23, 2001
US
I recently had to re-install XP Pro SP1 on my workstation. When I finished using the re-install technique, everything booted alright, but found out that the process had changed my drive letter designation for the partitions. I have two drives, one drive with 3 partitions and the other with just one.

The first drive with 3 partitions has the first partition with the OS and Program files. second partition is the PageFile and the Third partion is the H: drive home directory.

After doing the Re-install of the OS, It has made my second partition my C: drive and my third partition my d: drive. Also labeling them the Boot and System drives so when I go into system manager to change the drive letter designations, it will not let me, saying that it cannot change the drive designation for the system or boot volumes.

Is there an easier fix rather than Partition Magic? I have much data on the third partition which is the H: drive. Normally it would not matter, but I have some custom programs that look to the Drive letters for the program files and the database locations. I could change this as well, but Im trying to get a feeling for how easy/difficult to change the drive letter designations back to where there familiar to me.

Thanks everyone

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

Thanks Linney for the reply.

Yea, I think I'm gonna have to relocate my data on the drive / volume, then reformat the entire drive, reload XP Pro, then repartition, and transfer my data back.

Now I need to transfer the data - I need access to the drive/ volume and have a device or media to put the data.

Thanks again for the info.

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back