Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Professional Logon locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronte1226

Technical User
Oct 18, 2002
US
I have a laptop that is used in the office and needs to be used in the field as well. At this time it is set up to logon to one of the servers that we use. However, when out in the field, we want to be able to use it locally only without connecting to the server. How do I set up the login screen to give the option to logon to windows locally only (the c drive) without loosing my network setup too?

Bronte1226,

To logon to windows without connecting to your Lan, simply create another profile that does not include network connectivity.
Try logging on with one alias on the road and with the original alias at the office.

-Brett

Have similar situation. Need "guest logon" by default, with very limited, local priveleges. Need all others to login to domain. I do NOT want everyone to be switching back and forth between 'this machine' and 'domain' in options at logon. Figure I will set machine to start with XP view, with only a single 'bubble' to click on. This takes to local, guest. All others will then have to alt-ctrl-delete to get to the win2k logon. Presumably this will work. Will find out next week. Believe I can customize the background screen to have instructions on it. Any other way?

Bronte,
Your solution would be to first ensure that you have a local admin account on the laptop... then create a local user... when they go to use the machine, in the "Log on to:" drop down box, they will see the listed domains and an option that states 'localuser' (this computer) - where 'localuser' is the local username... problem solved..
when done this way, the machine can still have network connectivity, just not being validated via the PDC/BDC.

debonairOne
dboneanime.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back