Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Wont shut down! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojoman

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
US
One computer insists on going through all the motions until it gets to ""Windows is shutting down" but it never does. I have to manually power it off! The hard drive just sits there and goes clack, clack,clack! I've defragged it, Norton Uitlied it, and everything else I can think of but it just keeps on keeping on! I know this should probably be under hard drive forum but thought it might be a system problem as well. It didn't do this until I reformatted it and did a clean install of everything.
Mojoman

Howdy:

Try going into Control Panel>Power Options..

Click on the APM tab and make sure it is enabled..

Apply to save the change and okay out..

Now try shutting down !!

Murray

My Control Panel>Power Options has no APM Tab! ? All the power settings are the same in computer A as in computer B but computer B doesn't shut down. ? Thanks for the input!
Mojoman

Will it shutdown using the shutdown.exe in system32?
(c/windows/system32/shutdown.exe)

Any noises coming from the hard drive would be a worry for other reasons besides what you have posted. It is the hard drive making this noise and not the floppy drive?

Read the section Powerdown issues at this site.

XP Soft Shutdown
thread779-534421

WinXP does not turn my computer off
thread779-395859

Control Panel > power options > advanced. At the bottom you will see 1. When I press the power button, and 2.When I press the sleep button. See what these are set at.

I had this problem when I first installed XP Pro quite a while back, but I can't remember what the solution was. It was really simple and it seems to me it had something to do with Mcafee. I will look back through my notes and see if I can find it. In the meantime I would suggest that you don't do anything drastic.

In device manager: look at the listing for Computer > properties. It should say : Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.

OK, call it early onset Alzhiemers, it wasn't Mcafee but Roxio Direct CD, however this caused a reboot on shutdown. If the system hangs on shutdown then I concur with the others that it is probably APM related. If you do not have an APM setting under power management then check your BIOS settings, you may have APM disabled.

Thanks for all the information guys. Linney gave me the links to a combination of problems that resolved part of the issue as well as a heads up regarding the clunking noises coming from the Hard Drive. Sounded to me like it was going to give up at any time and the "Shut Down" issue would no longer be an issue. Easy CD seemed to be the culprit as I had not updated the patches on the offending computer. [I had on the other one!]However; I did a clean install on a new HD, hooked the clunker up as a slave and saved all my data before it was too late!
Thanks again all! Nice to know there is this much help with such easy access!
Mojoman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back