Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro without additional options for user accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsgjunkie

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2006
US
Hello,

I've been helping a family member create a home network at their new home. Their main desktop is running XP Pro. I suggested that he stop using his account with full admin access for every day use. When I went to create a new account for him, I am only given the options for "admin" and "limited". The system info confirms he's running XP Pro. He'd still like to set up some custom user accounts. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Junkie

as far as I know there are no 'additional' or 'custom' user settings that can be set in WinXP, whether it be home or pro edition.

If there's applications he's wanting to run an application in the limited account that requires admin privileges you can use the 'Run As...' command by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting the 'Run As...' option.

is there a reason you're suggesting he not run as an admin? is it his personal computer?

I've always felt its safer to keep average user away from the admin accounts. This protects them from themself along with inbound attacks. If they happen to open a bad email, or get hit with spyware or a virus from limewire, the users account will limit the bugs access to the PC. If the user is on the admin account, its giving that same bug admin access.

I actually remembered you can access the additional user settings through the "manage" option of "my computer".

Junkie

I know this is an old post and it help a little but I have an additional question.

I find where there are groups and I can add more groups, assign users to other group etc. Question is though how do define a groups access/restrictions? I added a group just to test and there is no way to define the group that I can see. I have XP Pro and thought this would be much easier.

I also want to restrict certains user from accessing certain websites or limit them to specific ones. Would that be a Internet Explorer thing or can I manage that through the OS? If internet explorer no worries I am posting this over to that forum.

Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Present for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

I could be wrong here and I am prepared to be corrected.

It may be by Default that Members of a Workgroup or standalone machine only seem to have the ability to create a Group and add Users to that Group, they don't seem to have any option to further add the new Group to another Group provided for via "Object Types". Perhaps what you are trying to do can only be done in a Domain?

Maybe all you can do is add the users to one of the Default Groups which are already created?

Over View of All Groups in Windows XP

Of course any newly created Groups access can still be controlled via the individual file or folder Security Access Permissions via the Security Tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back