Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro with W2K AD DC disconnect after 30 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrh981

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
CA
Hi!

This is the current network configuration.

Users(5): XP PRo with all service packs and security
Domain Controller: W2K ADV Srvr with all service packs.
Switch: Linksys BEFSR81 (8 ports switch
+ router to web
+ DHCP server.
DC used to protect Accounting Data.

Accounting: AVANTAGE (16bits)
Apps All user connected to same shared directory
All shortcuts have *execute in a different
memory space*.

Users login W2K DC - OK No Probs
Users Login AVANTAGE - OK No probs.
30 minutes later message **Connection no longer available
from W2K Server.
XP Pro goes into synchronisation and stays there
user have to kill the process to reboot.

Users Must reboot and try again.
It is like if the connection to the server died.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!

I'M at a loss for fix possibilities.

Thanks to all for your assistance

- Does the W2K DC also run a DHCP? Is there a DHCP that has a conflict with the linksys? (normally the W2K DC won't allow another Windows DHCP, but the other manufactures seem to disagree with Microsoft... so it is possible to have a conflict there)

- Do the users also disconnect in 30 min. when not connected to this AVANTAGE (?) 16bits thing?

-- Is there maybe an update for this Avantage? (XP & W2K have them all you say, but I don't see anything about updates for this Avantage - not that I even know what it is)

2hr

You are actually correct about DHCP confilicts. The Linksys system which may or may not dole out IP address is most likely the colpurate. I have found the majority of Linksys systems do run in to direct confertation with the DHCP server and the PC is booted off after 20 minutes (or sometimes more).

I fixed it by running static IP address on the couple of PC that needed to connect through the linksys

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

View products that this article applies to.

This article was previously published under Q297684

SYMPTOMS

On a computer that runs one of the versions of Windows that is listed at the beginning of this article, if you map a drive to a network share, the mapped drive may be disconnected after a regular interval of inactivity, and Windows Explorer may display a red "X" on the icon of the mapped drive. However, if you try to access or browse the mapped drive, it reconnects quickly. This behavior occurs if the network share computer runs Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003.

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows Server 2003 can drop idle connections after a specified time-out period (by default, 15 minutes) to prevent wasting server resources on unused sessions. The connection can be re-established very quickly, if required.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, change the default time-out period on the shared network computer. To do this, use one of the following methods.

NOTE: You cannot change the default time-out period for Microsoft Windows 95-based computers and Microsoft Windows 98-based computers that have shared resources.

Registry Editor
NOTE: You cannot use this method to turn off the autodisconnect feature of the Server service. You can only use this method to change the default time-out period for the autodisconnect feature. WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Use Registry Editor to increase the default time-out period. To do this, follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit (Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003) or type regedt32 (Windows NT 4.0), and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
In the right pane, click the autodisconnect value, and then on the Edit menu, click Modify. If the autodisconnect value does not exist, follow these steps:
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click REG_DWORD.
Type autodisconnect, and then press ENTER.
Click Hexadecimal.
In the Value data box, type ffffffff, and then click OK.

Guys !
I give you my most sincere thanks.
I will verify and implement the DHCP correction.

At this moment Linksys router are the DHCP initiator.

If I disable the Linksys DHCP and Install DHCP on the W2K DC I understand that this should help greatly!!

Do you recommend for me to try wbg34 (IS/IT--Manageme) suggestion first! or should I go for the DHCP!

Thanks All for your quick response.

Norm

For your information AVANTAGE is an Accounting software made locally and is a 16bit application >>> affects NTVDM

This a follow UP.
Thanks but the situation remains.

When disconnected I get a SECURITY WARNING POTENTIAL SECURITY ATTACK. ...Contact Authentification server...

This is basically what I got and I had to reboot the XP workstation.

Is there anything I can do with Forward and Reverse Lookup for the DNS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back