Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PRO upgrade installation failed due to error

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3D3vil

Technical User
Oct 28, 2006
US
I am trying to upgrade win98 to XP Pro and during the setup a error message appears "error cannot copy D:\1386\mfc42.dll to C:\windows\setup\mfc42.dll"m and then emmiadiatly after that the message "error unable to read Inf. file in D:\1386\dosnet.inf". I understand that the second error message is telling me my it can't copy the first , but after doing hours of reading and extensive reserch at microsoft , in help and support. I can't find a reason or any way to fix . This has been a ongoing nightmare , first it was the hal.dll and after listening to 20 differant solutions that didn't woirk , I fixed myself . Now this , so far 2 days. Please help before I go Back to the typewriter.

Is there any Virus Scanning running, including a Bios Scanner?

See - "You Receive a File Copy Error During Setup"

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

Read the check list in this MSKB.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

Just a thought: that has happened to me before and it was either a bad disk or a bad drive. It happens less often when I use original OEM media instead of a backup copy with a label on it (since stopped using sticky paper labels on CD backups). So maybe you need new disk(s); try buffing it up real good and blowing out the drive with canned air.

Had the same problem ended up being bad ram...

Again, bad or misconfigured or overclocked RAM.

I linked some testers above.

The one I currently use is by a company that produces hardware RAM testers for the RAM manufacturing industry. This is just a freebie they offer for a software RAM tester. The site asks for registration, but it is not a SPAM site.

My opinion only: This software RAM tester is now the best out there other than a hardware device. Recommended strongly. I have been recommending this in other sites for a month. RAM that easily passed extended Memtest86 failed quickly with this tester. and did so appropriately. When the RAM was replaced based on a DocMemory test the issues went away.

DocMemory

Offers bootable CD images as well as floppy images.
Again, Recommended ***** (with five stars.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back