Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro - Unstable network connection!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buee04

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi, thanks for looking, I really need the help.

This past summer, I've been using dsl with my ethernet card and dsl modem through verizon. But when I came back to school, to the T1 connection, I've been having trouble maintaing a stable connection.

On my toolbar, where it shows that you have a connection (the two computers flashing on send and receive next to the clock), it keeps on poppin ga balloon up saying that the cable has been unplugged. But it's not.

Sometimes this flashing thing doesn't affect my connection, but other times I have no internet connection at all. My connection gets cut off (i have no IP) on and off and it's a real pain.

Yesterday, the whole day, my connection was out. And today it's back up until God knows when.

I know that it's my computer now, because when the connection was out yesterday, I borrowed a friend's laptop and tried it, and it had a connection. I don't think my NIC is broken, maybe there's something conflicting from the dsl config with the school network??

PLEASE HELP!!

Hey,

thanks for the links, i checked out but couldn't find anything. however, i tried a new network adapter, a dlink instead of the 3com and my connection since has been alot more stable. i guess the problem is solved?

thanks anyway!

Okay, the problem is back. There was a brown-out last night and ever since the power was back, I haven't been able to connect to the school network or get internet access.

On the toolbar, it shows the computer sending data and not receiving for a bit, then it just says the cable is unplugged. But this time, the lights on my adapter don't even come on. They flick once or twice when I first plug the cable in, but stays off.

I have tried 2 NICs and neither works. HELP!!!

Sounds as if your network settings arent quite correct. Does the school have its own DNS or DHCP Server? Is your IP Dynamic or Static? You may want to try this command from the command prompt. Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. then type in "ipconfig /all" with no quotes. This will give you the info that your nic is using. It may have fallen back to defaults of a user subnet. Before you try and reset your nic card settings its always a good idea to "renew" or "release" the data. For all the commands available type in "ipconfig /?" with no quotes. Good Luck SMAC

"Never Argue with an Idiot. They will Lower You to Their Level, Then Beat YOU with Experience"

Hmm, I'm posting this from my computer so that means i have internet now. When I came back this afternoon, I found my computer to be on the network. Just like that..

So I'm thinking this will happen again. But why would I get connection of a sudden and be disconnected just as abruptly?

Have you tried to replace your network cable?

Hi Matt,

Yeah, I also tried using my friend's cable that he was using (so it definitely works), but I still got a no connection signal.

I'm thinking it's something to do with my port, or perhaps even a hacker...B/c my school was recently hacked. I don't know what else would explain my sporadic connectivity.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back