Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro to XP Home P2P Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2ross

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
AU
I have XP Pro on my main machine and want to set up a network to a machine I have just built running XP Home. I have used the Network Wizard (from reading other posts I get the feeling that may not be a good thing) and the outcome is as follows.

I have internet connection sharing no problems. I can see the name of the XPHome computer in the HOME workgroup from the Pro computer but cannot access contents.
"computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact admin....."

Having just re-run the wizard I now can't even see the computer. Can't ping the Home machine from the Pro machine. Can ping Pro machine from Home. Home machine can't even see itself in the HOME workgroup. It is not allowed permission to view the workgroup.

Any suggestions?

silly comment but you have made sure that file and print sharing is enabled

Thanks 3wsparky. Some times the simple solutions are the best. Unfortunately this is not one of those times.

I've now lost the computer I was trying to network to so may never find the root cause. I will be removing all network connections shortly and starting from scratch as I have to revive that old network I have with my Win98 laptop.

This thread seems all over the place.. I network these suckers every day, for a P2P it's really quite simple, Home Or Pro makes no difference, just remember that.
Don't use the Network Wizard, do it manually, Right Click Network Places, Advanced - Change Network ID.
First make sure BOTH workgroup names are simply called WORKGROUP.
Enable only TCP/IP in My Network Places Properties Local Area Connection, on the Network Adaptors, Setup them up NOT as DHCP. Make sure the XP Pro machine 192.168.0.10 and the Home machine 192.168.0.12 this really doesn't matter as long as they are roundabouts these numbers and the subnet is 255.255.255.0. ( I keep them away from xxx.1 and so on in case of routers or print server IP's that may conflict, a router std Ip is xxx.1) Don't make the number too far away from 32 (should be less) as some routers can't address any more than the first 32 devices.
Share the C Drive of each system for the moment (bad news to keep it like this as it's a haven for a certain virus)
disable DNS & Wins for the moment.
Login to the XPPro System as an Administrator, the Home system logs in as Administrator by default.
Thats the basics - after that you can change whatever settings you want.
Best I can do from memory before dinner..

Member of The Electronic Technicians Institute Australia.

Thanks flashmedia.

As I said, the XPHome machine has now gone so I can't check but that sounds great. I did use the wizard in the first place so that may not have helped.

I'll certainly keep your above set of instructions for future reference.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back