Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro system

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy1

Technical User
Mar 20, 2003
CA
My system is affected in 2 ways.
1-I had MAXIMIZER installed. I had problems in restoring my address book. I uninstalled it. Then I had trouble installing it. I called Maximizer, paid $45 for technical service, and they could not install it. I was told that there is something wrong with my computer.
2-In internet explorer when I go to games, and "addiction Solitaire" or some others, I get a blank square and nothing comes up on the screen (inside the square).
Someone suggested to boot from the XP cd and run repair XP. When I tried,It did not initialize.
Does anyone have an idea what to do?
Thanks and best regards,
Eddy1

Eddy,

Consider going into CMOS and ensuring that your CDROM is enabled as one of the boot devices. It is best if it is first in the list with Hard Drive and Floppy after it. Then, during boot, you will see a message that says to press any key to boot from the CD. You will need to do this or else it will not attempt a boot from the CD. Once everything comes up to the blue install screen, hit R and let it select the OS copy to fix and follow all prompts.

Matt

When I hit R I get:
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?
Is this where I type "OS copy to fix"?

When you get this message, you should see a listing of OS's that the system found. The default is 1 and then Enter.

Try that.

Matt

I am sorry to bother you Matt.
When I entered "R" I got:
1- c:\windows
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?
When I chose 1, I got back:
C:\Windows
It seems it went into DOS mode. I could not go any farther.

That's the repair console. Unless you know what commands to use there, it's not what you want.
Do NOT hit R at the first prompt, selet to Install Windows.
Hit F8 to agree to the TOS, and the next prompt should be to repair an installation. Here is where you hit "R". Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I got "Fatal Error".
An edrror has occurred that prevents setupo from continuing.
Installation failed:D:\1386\asms.
Eror mesage: manifest parse error:invalid at the top level of the document.One of the components that window needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Now I cannot get out of setup. I can't go to the desktop.
I tried same mode, and all the other modes at my disoposal.I think I have to reformat the disk and start from the beginning.
Thank you all for trying to help me.
Eddy1.

Something is wrong with the CD. Either it's dirty, scratched, an illegal copy, or the CD-ROM isn't reading it right (heads out of alignment).
You could try copying the CD to the hard drive, and installing from there instead.
To get out of the setup loop, boot to a floppy disk, and (providing your C drive is FAT 32, not NTFS) edit the boot.ini file and remove the line referring to the failed setup. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back