Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Sysprep and AutoLogon

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspooner

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2007
US
I am trying to install a large quantity of computers using sysprep and then a cloning software. The problem I have is that we want the computers to Auto Logon to a user account after sysprep is done and I am having trouble because sysprep is changing the registry keys for AutoLogon forcing me to manually log on to make the change for every computer.

The process I am trying is this:
In sysprep I have it configured to log on as the administrator automatically once where I have it run a VBScript to make some configuration changes such as computer name and enable AutoLogon, and then restart the computer. But after the computer restarts it does not AutoLogon and I need to manually log on and rerun that portion of my script.
BUT if I don't have sysprep automatically log on as the administrator and do it myself my script runs and after the reboot it works perfectly.

I am thinking that sysprep must clear the AutoLogon registry keys because it thinks that it needs to so that it doesn't continue logging on as administrator, but I have changed the keys so I don't want it clearing them out after I have changed them. I just don't know how to make this happen.

The keys I am changing in my script are:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
AutoAdminLogon="1"
DefaultUserName="UserName"
DefaultPassword="Password"

I know that somebody out there has to have faced this situation before, but I cannot find any solution, so any help would be appreciated, or just a link to where I can find a solution.

Thanks for your time.

In your sysprep.inf try adding the following lines under
[Guiunattended] and populate with the appropriate values

AdminPassword=(the password should be in quotation marks)
EncryptedAdminPassword=
AutoLogon=
AutoLogonCount=

I believe that Autologon value would be yes and autologoncount value would be 1. In regards to the password I have only seen this work when the password is in plain text and the EncryptedAdminPassword=no. I think the better way to go is to set this value to yes and make sure the password is in fact encrypted. I have not however seen this configuration work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back